Monday, May 22, 2006

WPBT and Questions Answered

That event was fun. Now I don't usually multi-table as I prefer to play one game and really concentrate on it so last night was quite a challange.

In Game One I went out in 27th when I lost a huge pot to Sir Waffles when he sucked out a gut shot. He called from middle position with 3-3 and I called from the SB with 6-9. Flop came 2-5-6 I bet out $300 into a $450 pot and Waffles goes over the top and raises to $900. I really thought he was trying to make a move on the pot so I re-raised him all-in which he immediately called. Turn was a 2 and the river was a 4 giving him the straight. If I hit that hand I'm top 5 but oh well. I'm glad it was you Waffles and thankfully that wasn't a cash game it would have been hard losing my buy-in to the gut shot.

Game Two I made the final table but went out in 8th when I ran 9-9 into the eventual winner Fat Bald Guy's 10-10. It was a good run and I basically stole my way to the final table. I love these blogger events because the competition is tough and the games move fast. Hey congrats to my boy Hoyazo for hitting the money in both events.

So after an uneventful weekend I'll take a shot at the quiz.

1. What is the biggest mistake people make at a NL table?
Hand Selection. Particularly live I watch so many players get smoked on hands they never should have played to begin with. IMO this is the root cause of so many more problems. If you don't play the crappy hand out of position to begin with you never have figure out where all your chips went.

2. What is the biggest mistake people make at a Limit table?
Not knowing when to fold.

3. Why do you play poker?
I'd like to say for the money or the competition but really it's about trying to master the game and become really good it. I have a strong chess backround and I'm trying to get as in depth with poker as I once was with chess. Yes in Poker luck is involved but over the long haul skill wins out.

4. If you weren't playing poker, what would you be doing?
Definitely playing more golf. Before I got serious about poker I played golf at least 4 days per week.

5. What is your favorite poker book and why?
For theory Harrington. I think he's a world class player and I like his style of play. For Narrative Positively Fifth Street. McManus is brilliant and what a great story.

6. Who is your favorite poker player and why?
Greg Raymer. He's a great player and a class act. Is he about the only guy that knows anything about humility?

7. Which poker player do you dislike the most and why?
Hellmuth because he's a real ass. Farha is a jerk too. I also strongly dislike Annie Puke. Hey Josh Arieh is a cry baby too. Make that players.

8. Do your coworkers know about your blog?
N/A. Sorry sold the business so there are no co-workers, employees, or employers for that matter. Life is good!

9. What is the most you have won in a cash game or MTT (both live and online)?
Cash game: Live-a few racks. I play 5 days a week so I've had some good days. Online-I really only play low stakes for practice so 300+
MTT: Live-Made a nice score at Binions in February finishing 2nd out of 70 players. Online not much because I've only started playing bigger $ MTTs. Hopefully I'll be able to answer that soon

10. What is the most you have lost in a cash game or in one day total (both live and online)?
Live-$340 I remember it like yesterday because it was one of my first few times ever playing. I got all my money in pre-flop and my QQ lost to QJ when the flop came J-J-5. I tilted and lost what I had left when my A high flush got beat by a full house when the board paired on the river. I've gotten much better with bad beats since then.

11. Who was your first poker blog read?
Iggy. It was only a couple months ago and after finding his then seeing all the links and finding out about this blogger world and the Tournaments Carmen and I both started a blog immediately.

12. What satisfies you more, your aces holding up for a big pot or a bluff working for a big pot?
Easily the bluff. I don't think there is a stronger feeling in Poker when you have to fire two bullets at a bluff and your stomach is twisting and turning and your trying hard not to give a tell and your thinking I'm smoked if this player calls. What a relief when that player folds the winner and you're raking in a pile of chips and you had nothing. Hell anyone can play AA, KK, and the nuts.

13. Why do you blog?
It started out to be able to play in the bloggers tournaments and it's turned into a love of the community. Yes I even like some of those crusty old-timer bloggers who are so threatened by all the new blood even though the act like they're not. It's awesome living in Vegas because Carmen and I will get to meet everyone that comes out here.

14. Do you read blogs from an RSS reader like bloglines or do you visit each blog?
I visit each blog. It's much more personal and I like to be able to leave commments.

15. Would you rather play poker for a living than do what you currently do for a living?
Well I sold my business and moved to Vegas and now I actually do play for a living so the answer is yes. Sorry people but I don't believe everyone that says no to this question. You all love poker and spend a tremendous amount of time at it and let's be serious how many people actually like their jobs?

16. Do you wear a tin foil hat on occasion?
Negative.

17. If you had to pin it down to one specific trait, what does a great poker player have (or do) that separates them from an average player?
Balls. The great poker players are fearless. Patience and Discipline would be 2 and 3.

18. Is Drizz the coolest person on the planet for naming his baby Vegas?
As cool as you can get for living in Minnesota.

19. What is your primary poker goal and are you close to accomplishing it?
To get good enough to regularly compete in the 5-10NL games here in Vegas. Great players and juicy games. I'm not there yet but hope to be within another year.

20. What is your primary online site and why?
Stars I find them to be more of a class act than all the others.

21. What site do you dislike and why?
None I only really play on Stars.

5 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger doubleas said...

The 69 v 33 hand was brutal. See you in Vegas.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

You lucky bastard. I wish I had a business to sell. :-)

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous mookie99 said...

"Matt Silverthorn said...

You lucky bastard. I wish I had a business to sell. :-) "

Don't forget where he lives now too !

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Great Stuff Don,

My money was on you last night. Couldn't play because if one MTT is a major challenge, MTing two would just be confusion.

I didnt see the hand doubleAs is talking about, but I'll take a 69 anytime I can get one. Who wouldn't?

Picked up Theory of Poker, Tao, Psychology of Poker and the Green Book over the weekend. Finished Tao last night, half-way through Theory and my brain is hurting. I hate my Type A personality. Its trying to kill me...

I may be down in Vegas in the post WSOP period, so lets get together down the road. Cya tomorrow

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

I'm glad you jumped in and answered the questions. I have a feeling your business sell will have all the bloggers foaming at the mouth...who wouldn't want to do that?! nice job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home