Friday, June 09, 2006

Nearing the Point of Frustration

The blogger comments were not working when I started rolling today so I'm going to finally update the answer to yesterday's hand. This whole blogger site not working has my mornings, yes 11:30am is still morning, screwed up and that coupled with some frustrating results on the tables and I'm slightly off center. Some of you probably noticed me a little hissy fit when I got knocked out of the Mookie in 14th place and I proceeded to rant about push monkeys and started in with the whole B7, N33, O69 routine.

Now I guess I shouldn't be whining because after all the bad beats and tough hands over the last few weeks I'm still up a little bit. Really the frustration is from what could have been, those just misses when flopping great but 2nd best hands, or playing with a table full of dead money at the MGM and watching these donkeys splash their money all over the table and me not being able to get any.

Fortunately my rants have, for the most part, been internal and having read a few blogs lately about some really good players taking big bankroll hits, I know my issues are really minor. I've been trying to stay focused and disciplined and working really hard from tilting and it finally paid off.

The answer to the previous hand was I checked the river and the mullet indeed had a J for a six card straight. Instead of being pissed about the guys hand I have to be thankful he was such a stiff that he waited for me to bet so he could check-raise me, which never happened, and that he saved me my stack.

So today I sit down and wait for the blinds at the same level table and inthe SB on my second hand I get 9-9. There were three limpers and since I just sat down I only completed the blind instead of raising. Five of us see the flop which was K-T-9 and here we go again right away I hit a set but the board sucks ass.

I probe with a $7 bet and I get only one caller which really doesn't give me much information. Turn is a 3 so let's probe some more, I bet $15 and dude again calls. Now I'm thinking if I have Q-J I'm playing this hand the same way as this guy but I don't have any information on him yet so he might only have a pair of Kings or Two Pair. River is a 5 and there is no possible flush.

Now on a safe board I'm pushing at this point with almost certainty I have the winner and this player will call me as he has the whole way but I'm a little gun shy after my last two sets got creamed to a scary board. I think for a few seconds and decide to bet $30 into a pot of $46. The guy immediately goes over the top all-in and I lay down my set. I guess he was so proud of his Q-J that thankfully he showed me so at least I could say I made a good lay down.

So just over half my stack gone and I've played two hands. I buy-in enough to get back to the max (something I always do BTW) work my way back near even when I get A-7, yes the freakin' tourist in the SB. Flop is A-K-7 and I get all in with a $45 stack who had limped with K-7 sooted. K on the river and down I go.

Thankfully the guy only had $45 and not the max or more in front of him or I would have taken a huge hit. So another few hours go by and I fight back to nearly even again but with frustration. K-K no action, A-A no action, yet I'm watching two poor players just keep getting cards and winning and winning and I'm wondering why I've only had one day in my life where I had the horseshoe up my ass yet everyday either online or live I see players just go on unbelievable hot runs.

Now I've been at this for hours and it's now getting within a few minutes of the Heat-Mavs game and because Carmen is working I want to BBQ a steak and watch the game and I still haven't showered, and I'm looking and probably smelling like Sheikhan at Caesars, Chris know what I'm talking about, but I'm in near degenerate mood knowing I'm gonna crack this table. I'm on the button and promise myself one more orbit then I want/need to light the grill, bathe, and watch the game.

So I get the SB and find 5-5. What is it with the SB? I don't know but it's where I either catch or get caught by monsters. There is are two limpers, CU raises to $5, button calls. $5 is high for 5-5 but with two limpers still to come I say fuck it $5 on 5-5 for set value.

Sure as shit flop comes J-8-5 rainbow and I'm thinking this might be it. No scary board and hopefully no set over set and I might get paid. CU has $220 in front of him, button has $180 and I have $150. I check, CU bets $20, button raises to $40 so I push and both players call. K-K and A-A. Flop and Turn are both Queens and my full house takes down a monster pot.

So I hit and run that monster, started the grill, yes I bathed, enjoyed 16 oz. of NY Strip and watched the Heat-Mavs game. Unfortunately the Heat lost but they'll beat the Mavs before it's over.

So all that self-pity and whining for nothing. I was playing slightly winner poker for a few weeks yet I was convincing myself that I was on a horrible run. I hope to learn a lesson from this for when that actual bad run does arrive so that I stick with what has been a winning and improving game plan. Time to remember I can't always win and that my competitive spirit must remain in check.

Mookie is coming on Sunday so trip reports and pic should be up by Sunday night.

Stay Profitable.

13 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Poker Jones said...

I say if you can't whine every once in a while, why blog? Nice to see presto change your luck.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger jjok said...

good job man.....

Sorry about the whole Heat losing thing. Must have sucked to watch....however

I ENJOYED THE HELL OUTOFIT!!!!!!

w00t!!!!!111111one11!!!!!

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous mookie99 said...

2 more days man...can't wait.

Nice rebound with the pockets 5's.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

neither of those idiots reraise your prefop raise? if you get caught in a reraising war, preflop, i'm sure you ditch the 5-5 knowing you need to hit a miracle 2 outer. they deserve to get stacked.

slow playing a big pocket pair has got to be one of the worst plays out there.

btw, guess i wuz wrong about the other guy checking his straight on the river in the last post. another stoopid play.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

oh, i misread it. you called their preflop raise. i thought they limped and you bet the $5. good call.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Yeah, you gotta make sure you don't get to the Sheikan level of grubbery.

Nice job on the 5's. Hitting a set and then losing, like those others, is just a plain old shot to the junk.

Have fun with Mookie and the crew. I expect to hear about someone cashing by Monday.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

That is crazy that you would lose two hands with two flopped sets in two days, Don. That just ain't right. At least you were able to take it down the third time around. But tell me, as the first donk and then the second donk both called your allin raise, tell me you were not thinking "here we go again, who has higher trips?"

Btw, I tried a million times to agree with the previous commenters yesterday about checking that hand with the Jack down through the river. A Jack is playable enough with other high cards that I wouldn't take the chance, the pot was already reasonably large as it was. And yes, your opponent definitely mis-played that one. Doesn't that just suck, when you overthink a clearly winning hand so much that you end up not making nearly the money you would have made by just being straightforward with it?

Have fun with the freshly-shaven Mook this weekend man.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Own the Flop said...

I know it's tough to take some of the losses, but as long as you are living in Vegas and you know a fair amount about how to play Hold Em, you will have very good success in the long run.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Hey Don. It is Saturday so Happy Birthday man! Hope you have a great one and have fun with Mookie and the crew. You are living the life dude. Enjoy it.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Ya I agree! Living the life with Carmen! Enjoy man!

Also, even if you had somehow, by some miracle, managed to survive to the main table, I would have been there waiting for you.. so you just put yourself out of misery early.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Happy Birthday Big D!

Plenty of joy to be had, and its clear you get it, brotha. Go slay 'em at the tables, and have a blast with Mook and co.

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous mookie99 said...

Happy birthday man...see you guys tomorrow.

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger jjok said...

Happy bday to you.
Happy bday to you.
You are a big Heat fan.
Too bad they are poo.

Happy bday, my man, and GO MAVS!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home