Monday, June 05, 2006

Weekend & Yes the Mini-Van

First things first. Had a great time with Chris for the few days he was out here. I've met two bloggers now and both were super cool, that's right super cool. It really seemed like I was meeting up with two old friends that I hadn't seen in a while, it was very comfortable getting (re)acquainted because we knew alot about each other through the blogging world. Next Sunday Mookie makes number three and I already know he's super cool too. I wonder who the first asshole blogger I get to meet will be? I might have to make the odds and I'm sure we'll get some action on those lines. I know who the favorite will probably be but I won't mention any names as I don't want to piss her, oops I mean them, off yet.

Poker was a wash this weekend. I'm counting the cash games both at MGM and online after cashing in the Binion's Tournament as the weekend. I sat in some juicy games but I was, for the most part card dead, and when I did have decent cards everyone else had crap. It's all about the timing baby.

There were three French Canadian buddies at the MGM on Friday, one was decent and the other two were horrible, and they splashed money all over the table. Unfortunately of the $1200 that two of them gave away I only got a total of about $75. Some days the situations never come so at least I didn't force anything and give some of my money away trying to get greedy.

Oh well Mini-Van time. Good eyes to the few of you who spotted my bad rider parked at the curb when Carmen posted the pics of her new car.

Ok I owed a business back in Florida that I officially sold in February. Now after a few months of tense negotiations on the terms of the sale, severence, length of benefits, non-competes, etc. in mid-January everything gets finalized and sent to the attorneys. Now I'm a fairly shrewd negotiator and I was very pleased with how things proceeded as I represented myself through the whole process and 95% of the lawyer fees were paid for by the acquiring party. I actually bluffed some of the negotiations using the line, based on advice from my attorney but all in all I got a little more than I wanted except I forgot one thing....my vehicle was a company car.

Now as soon as the sale goes through I'm suppose to turn my car in which was not a big deal seeing I was moving to Vegas. Well I sold my house furnished and I only planned on taking some essentials like the dog, computer, golf clubs, our clothes, books, you know those sort of odds and ends. We had sold Carmen's car because she was ready for an upgrade which we figured was something new in Vegas. So basically the plan was to pack what we could carry, leave our lives in Florida, and move to Vegas and start fresh. Again only problem how to get there?

Now I wouldn't have had any problem with paying movers to get all our stuff from Florida to Vegas if I was moving the whole contents of the house but since it was only a few possessions I didn't see the point. Also why buy a new car and put 2700 miles on it driving across country when I could get something new in Vegas? So I put my brain to good use and put together a master plan and here's what I did.

I re-opened negotiations on the sale of the business. Now I'm sure I looked like a real idiot coming back to the table, one week before I was due to sign off on the deal, after months of tense back and forth negotiations saying the only way I go forward is if you sell me the 1998 Dodge Caravan for $10. Don't laugh.

Pack the van with all our shit and drive it across the country. Brilliant really except I almost screwed the whole deal up with this very peculiar 11th hour demand. Fortunately enough we were able to add an Addendum to all the other paper work and we got things completed in time.

Now this is not just any minivan but it started as, what was deemed a Druggie-Buggie. We got a lot of clients from some of the higher end Treatment Centers like Hazelden, Caron Foundation, Father Martin's, etc. and the van was used to pick up these high end clients up from the airport upon their arrival as well as take them to outside mental health appointments once they got settled in our facility. We also used it to do tours, which was when we brought clients from local treatment centers to view our facility in hopes of getting them to stay with us instead of heading home after primary treatment. So this vans seats have logged the assesof quite a few high profile clients with some serious substance abuse problems.

The van over time had been passed on to the tour driver/maintenance man who proceeded to beat it up somewhat. Unfortunately for him his job was being eliminated once the sale was final so instead of the new owners donating the van to charity I took it off their hands for $10. So presently there are still a few dents, the bumper is screwed on in multiple places, there is somewhat of an unwashable funky mix of B.O, stale cigarette smoke, you know whatever the opposite of what new car would smell like.

The thing is the van still runs like a champ and is perfect for hauling things around. We used it a ton when we moved to Vegas furnishing our new house and it will be ideal for hauling around the mulitudes of bloggers that will be visiting Vegas in the coming months and hopefully years.

So with the story out in the open the new goals for any blogger coming to Vegas should be;
1. Final Table at Caesars Tournament
2. Win enough money to pay for your trip
3. Ride in the Minivan

Just ask Chris, he being the first blogger to accomplish all three of those very ambitious goals. So before departing for Vegas make sure you ask yourself, Do you have it in you?

Hope you all had an enjoyable and profitable weekend.

6 Comments:

At 6:49 AM, Blogger "The Rake" said...

Really - it's okay you drive a mini-van - really.

Have a great week.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger drewspop said...

wOOt. I got "the ride" and that rivaled my $900 craps win on my last night man.

They were both real adrenalin highs.

Ten bucks huh? Nice hand, sir.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger iamhoff said...

I call shotgun!!

 
At 2:30 PM, Anonymous mookie99 said...

Great story...I only kid because I too was once a minivan man.

Looking forward to the trip...only 6 more days.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger HighOnPoker said...

1:1 Odds that I am the First Asshole Blogger you Meet, even if you did refer to me in the feminine.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Don,

The Van alone makes coming to Vegas a foregone conclusion...mine nearly induced a midlife crisis but you've come by yours honorably.

Hoff beat me to shotgun so I'll just surf the roof ala Teen Wolf.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home