Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Which Way Did He Go

Let's start with I'm usually just joking. I have some fun with my boys Iak and Waffles either by posting or leaving comments and my shtick is promoting cash games and ragging on MTTs and SnGs. Look play whatever you like, I certainly don't care, but don't get your panties in a bunch when I talk shit about whatever game you like. Heck, be a loser and go play RAZZ if that's what floats your boat but please stop crying.

Also I talk a lot of smack in the chat boxes during blogger events. If you make a donkey play, particularly one that knocks my ass out, you're going to hear a few Hee Haws if not worse. Again its all shtick, I'm really not a cry-baby or asshole but I will kick your ass if need be. Don't worry I have thick skin so I can take it as well as give it out. I think the only guy I ever suck out on, and its been multiple times is , and he must be used to them because I only get a small fuck you privately in the girlie chat. Don't forget its all about the love you crazy bloggrs! Now that we are all smiling...

....I'm running bad online. Not bad in I lost a few grand bad because 90% of my bankroll is for live play, but bad nonetheless. Most of the frustration is coming from the dreaded MTTs with a little mixed in on the the lower limit cash games I play.

I'm a cash game player its well documented, but when I started playing poker serioulsy it was all my action was MTTs. When I started blogging and playing in the blogger MTTs I was making the final table about one out of every three events, now I can't sniff the top 50% of the field.

When I was doing well I wanted to put in more time to improve at MTTs, now that I'm running fowl, I really want to improve at them. Also, I'm now going to lie, seeing some bloggers who I really respect making big cashes and qualifying for World Series events only get my competitive juices flowing more.

So the quandary is, say fuck the MTTs and stick to cash games, or use some of profits from the cash games to work on the MTTs? Will I screw up my cash games working on MTTs or can I become well versed in both? I'm totally undecided at this point.

Anyway I know this is a passing thing but what do you do in an MTT when you are completely card dead and every attempt at a steal or bluff runs into a calling station? Or your repeatedly getting at least 6:1 on draws but you miss like twenty in row? Or the highest pocket pair you see in a week is 88 and when you do see those small pocket pairs you only catch one set in thirty attempts. I won't even mention the bad beats and suckouts.

I'm at a crossroads and there is nothing wrong with that. I'm going to try and clear my head playing some live 1/2NL at the MGM tomorrow and I'll see where that takes me. I'm also contemplating playing in the Caesars MTT on Friday, which is the same structure as the bloggers event except you get T4500. If all goes well I hope to be playing some lucrative 2/5NL at the Red Rock by Sunday.

9 Comments:

At 10:36 AM, Blogger slb159 said...

"When I started blogging and playing in the blogger MTTs I was making the final table about one out of every three events, now I can't sniff the top 50% of the field."

I'm pretty sure I can explain this, Don: slb started playing the blogger events right around that time. :)

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger jjok said...

fuck you.....

hehe.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger HighOnPoker said...

It sounds like you are in a dip in your MTT game. Try what I have been doing and think through every move you make. This way, you are not just playing by rote. Don't give up on MTTs, but remember that it may take a while to cash if you are in a slump. Good luck.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Yeah man when you play a lot of mtts, you have to be prepared to accept the inevitable junk-kickings that variance is always sitting around waiting to dish out. While a lot of skill goes into being a consistently good mtt player, you need a lot of luck as well, and you need to get some cards, win some races in key spots, and generally not have your opponents nail the flops, turns and rivers against you for the most part. When that stuff happens it is easy to get frustrated (lord knows I've been there), but you just have to persevere, and maybe try to develop some ways to change your game somewhat to help you to avoid some of those common pitfalls, to the extent possible.

Personally, I think the "best" way to practice poker is by playing different structures, different limits, different games, as much as possible. So I would suggest that you maybe focus on the cash games which really are your bread and butter, but never really leave the mtts completely. That's just my two cents, though I know Felicia would agree with what I'm saying as well ;)

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Raveen said...

yea man mtt's are tough they are hours upon hours of no cashes.....then all of sudden a HUGE win....just keep plugging away u'll find your groove again

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Variance.

I have been sitting at the table with three of those beats. Sickening shit that will definitely pass. Which you know.

Variance.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Felicia :) said...

"I think the "best" way to practice poker is by playing different structures, different limits, different games, as much as possible. So I would suggest that you maybe focus on the cash games which really are your bread and butter, but never really leave the mtts completely. That's just my two cents, though I know Felicia would agree with what I'm saying as well"

GD stop reading my mind, lol.

Yes, I was just about to write about how we were coming to Vegas, and I could talk you down from your ledge, and all of that Kumbaya stuff (before I kick you in the junk, of course).

Seriously, though, we will be in Vegas July 27th-Aug 3rd and will be happy to meet up!

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger surflexus said...

Hey Don, I love MTT's but I got frustrated because of all the variance. Then I got advice from Matt Maroon that changed my life. He told me to focus on my bread and butter game...the one I always beat long term which in my case is limit cash games especially short-handed. I focused on those and started building a healthy roll. Now what I do is cash a third to spend on my family, use a third to play multi's and blogger tournies, and leave a third to work my way up in limits and such. I hope maybe that helps some.

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Don, dahhhllingg..I live with this challenge every day. The balance between working on your cash game, where you can be patient and selectively aggressive based upon the table situation, and working on your MTT play is always tough.

Cash games are the break and butter - you can't forgo them or change up your (successful) tactics too much. Having said that, you live in the perfect town to work on your MTT strategy. Pick some of the lower buy in tournies and try some different stuff. Mix your game up a bit and track your results.

Also, get out of hold 'em hell and start playing some different games. A little Omaha or whatever else is on offer can often help bust you out of a perceived funk or downswing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home