Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Wow

Was I on the wrong side of the game last night. New Orleans is extremely well coached and they have a much better team than I expected. Oh well, it was still a winning weekend.

I went up to the Red Rock yesterday around 2pm looked at next weeks lines, made a losing bet on Atlanta, and decided to play some 1/2NL. Man it was donkey city. There was me, a dealer from Sahara, and 8 retirees who must have been killing time until dinner because I seriously saw some of the worst poker anywhere.

At the MGM the players, while still terrible, at least have a basic idea of starting hands, somewhat know when to raise or fold, and rarely are they complete calling stations unless they're European or French Canadian. Not the seniors at the Red Rock.

The saying I've been hearing lately is, "Any Ace Any Face" and these players will take those weak hands all the way down to the river. Here are a few examples of brutal beats I saw.

This one happen to me. I'm on the button and there are five limpers and I make it $15 to go with KJ sooted. Three limpers call. I don't usually play KJ as its a chip eater but in position with the limpers I give it a go. Flop comes KJ5 rainbow. UTG bets $20 into the $65 pot it's folded to me and I re-raise the guy to $50. He thinks a minute and pushes. Now I'm thinking the only thing that gets me is a set but going back to the "Any Ace Any Face" theory he must be on the King and since I have top two pair I'm probably good. I call and turn over my two pair and he turns over K2 sooted. Top pair worst fucking kicker. He hits runner runner spades for a flush and down I go. BTW its always spades that get me on runner-runners.

Some other dude flops a set re-raises an early bettor and they get all-in. Board is 259, so we have top set and the other genius calls with A4. That's right Ace fucking 4. Turn a 6 river a 3, yes a poker stars hand at its finest. The six card straight knocks out the top set.

Next one flop is 772, yes the hammer. Guy bets, woman pushed, guy calls. Okay who has the 7 and if they both do who has the higher kicker? Women who pushed turns over A7 for trips, guy turns over 99 for two pair. Yup 9 on the river and it's boat over boat.

That's the shit that happens with horrible players occasionally. Luckily I was able to go from (-180) to +140 before it I left. No way I was leaving that table until I was up money, it was that bad, and I didn't figure they could suck out forever. I had a grand in my pocket and I was ready and willing to put it all on the table if need be but fortunately I didn't have to.

I love Las Vegas.

6 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Blogger presidentdavelee said...

One helluva battle we had in Fantasy this week. I haven't seen the final tally, but if my calculations are right, you beat me by a point. Nice job getting out of the hole against the donks. Some rough beats there. Good luck next week.

 
At 3:18 PM, Blogger Garthmeister J. said...

Those players have obviously been taking lessons from my friends at Star City.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

i can't wait to get back there. you got it made Don.

btw, never underestimate the power of human emotion. especially when you got Brees and Bush running things.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Rollo Tamasi said...

I thought the Saints would win, but thought it would be much closer than that. I didn't bet this game. I wanted to just watch and enjoy.

Brees is a winner, and Vick is not. That's basically what it comes down to.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger drewspop said...

I still remember that runner runner SPADE flush in the Binion's tourney after that great call you make. Sick, just sick.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger RoccoBoxer said...

Enjoyed seeing you at the Mookie. Vegas is on the horizon soon. Hopefully we'll hook up and play at MGM or RR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home