Monday, October 02, 2006

J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

All right my hissy-fit is over. A slightly or maybe not so slightly altered state of mind followed by running KK into AA for too much money and I fucking snapped. I took my ball and went home and when I woke up I realized thats not my style at all.

I'm not a quitter plain and simple. I don't let some minor adversities stop me from moving towards goals and things I want to achieve because if so the jail cell or the heroin or the cancer would have buried me long ago. I fight back and I fight back hard. Things are in perspective today and like usual I'm at peace with myself and my choices.

Ever heard of suitcase bettor. What's a suitcase bettor you ask? In the old days and perhaps still you called your local bookie and you made wagers based on credit. You started betting early on Saturday and you bet all the way through Monday night, you figured out a total and either paid the man on Tuesday or got paid on Friday.

Say you lost $2000 on the games one particular weekend and you only had $500 to pay the man. So you borrow $1500 from your co-worker or brother-in-law with the promise to pay them back in a week. Of course being a degenerate the plan was to bet the next weekends games, win the money, pay back the loan, and eat a fat steak.

Problem is the next Saturday you get killed again and it sets of panic mode heading into Sunday. Panice mode means you bet scared make mistakes and lose even more money. So now its Monday you find yourself down another $2000 with no prospects of borrowing the money to pay off either the book or your loan.

This makes Monday nites game a literal do-or-die game and this is where the suitcase bet come in. You bet the amount of your losses on one game and as soon as the bet is placed you pack your suitcase and leave it right next to the door. Either the game hits and you're off the hook or once the final whistle blows you grab the suitcase and drive off into the night hoping that Vinnie or Anthony never again make your acquaintance.

I made a few suitcase bets long ago and fortunately I won them all. So what I've done is adapt an offshoot of the suitcase bet and I put it into play this weekend.

My theory is that as long as you can always double your bet and you don't reach the betting limit you will never lose. Bet $100 lose, bet another $100 lose, bet $200 lose, bet $500 lose, bet $1200 etc. The theory is since picking a winner of a game is a 50/50 proposition that the odds are huge that you will not lose 8 games in a row.

Now to be truthful I rarely ever play this way as its rarely ever needed, its more of a gadget play a flea-flicker or double reverse if you will. I usually do decent as a sports bettor so the conventional offense seems to work out well. Yes there are winning and losing weeks but all in all its profitable.

Until this week that is. Last weekend I made a lot of money so I upped my bets a little and got killed on Saturday. Killed in that I lost every bet I made. So I reached deep into the play book and called, "Suitcase Variation."

I was going to wager all I was down plus juice plus $100 on one early game on Sunday. If that lost I would do the same on one the late game in Afternoon, then Sunday nite then Monday night. In my mind there was no way I was going to lose 4 more in a row. No fucking way possible. Now of course it's possible but not really probable.

So I look the board over and decide on a team which happened to be my most hated team and also my teams biggest rival. That's right J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets. What happens? I never even need to sweat the game and pick an easy winner. I erase all my loses from Saturday and end the weekend up a nice $100.

Now the sick part of me was I almost rooting for a loss so I could feel all the dread and nervousness that would have come if I had to double down on the next game. You all know the feeling. The hairs on your neck standing on end, you're pacing watching the game, you have no time to hear another persons voice as they have no idea what you're going through at that very moment. That true addict degenerate moment we sometimes crave.

Now that its Monday I'm glad the Jets won and I didn't have to go through the progressions. I'll gladly take my $100 and move on to the next weekends games.

And yes I'll probably play a token race or two today and try to go deep in the 20K while a multi-table that with a cash game while watching Monday Night Football. Who knows I might even make a small wager on the game.

Next time there won't be I'm going to take my ball and go home moment. Hopefully.

Hope you all had a profitable weekend.

7 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

ya, nuthin like having your balls on the chopping block sweating for time to expire. good times. welcome back

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger mookie99 said...

Ahhh he's back...nice.

Congrats on the Jets game.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger 23skidoo said...

Good Job, Don. I'm sure there are more than one or two of us who are having the "take my ball and leaving" additude after Friday. A gut check is always a fun time. Not to rub it in, but I had a great weekend capped off by a 3 team parlay (something I rarely do). It just may turn out to be the last online bet I make.....bummer

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

short fucking retirement dude.

hope you got a swedish massage for it.

welcome back, biotch

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger Love_elf said...

Duuuude...we knew you'd be back, Bio-tch!

Now Don't ever leave us again, K??

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Max said...

Congrats on the Jets game. Glad to see you've unpacked that suitcase.

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Killing blogs definitely makes baby jeesus cry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home