Thursday, October 19, 2006

Real World

From the worst night of live poker in my life, to the best movie I've seen in ten years, to the Cardinals losing game six with their ace losing to some rookie tool. So now something good and positive will happens? Not necessarily. I've never been one of those guys like "break even" Jerry Seinfeld where every thing is a 50/50, I'm more of a walking paradox where I'm extremely optimistic yet unlucky with my world and so cynical when it comes to so many other things.

If I had to guess, which is what I'm doing right now because it really my first thoughts on this in a long time, is the cynicism from being born into this world from a New England family and the optimism comes from being fortunate to get out of New England at an early enough age that I wasn't completely ruined.

I can probably count on one hand the number of people I've met in my life that I could truly trust, you know the kind you can give and envelope to and say don't open this unless x occurs or a guy you can have assist you on a safecracking job because you know that even with pliers and a blowtorch he won't rat you out. Sure those are two extreme examples but I use them for emphasis. Most people are so inherently self-seeking that when it comes crunch time, where its either you or them, believe me you'll be under the bus in less time than it takes for the question to even be asked.

And through all this, the more and more I read and meet bloggers the more I'm really impressed with our little niche in the world. I've only been doing this for seven months or so and I can't help but think about the "honor amongst thieves" adage. Yes plenty of us are degenerate gamblers, we may like to drink to excess on occasion, recreational drugs perhaps are commonplace, we come from all different walks of life, our political views vary, our professions though sometimes common can be very different but we have a bond, a bond different than family but to me seems to run nearly as deep.

We share ourselves in words perhaps more than we do in real time. We understand each other more than spouses, significant others, and our families probably do. We laugh and relate to things each of us share that common people may find disturbing or don't understand the humor in. We're one big happy disfunctional family, loyal, understanding and compassionate in a world gone mad.

The death of poker blogs, whatever, a little more difficulty in moving money in and out of banks to poker sites, a small annoyance, the death of poker no fucking way. Sixty bloggers last night in the Mookie, Forty bloggers for the Bash at the Boathouse, 125 bloggers in Vegas for the Summer Classic, we're not going away, we're getting more and numbers and stronger. New and old school alike building bonds that I'm convinced will last a lifetime.

As I finish this a small smile is on my face. You people that I read every day make a difference in my life, you share yourselves, your happiness and your pain, and give hope, you melt some of my cynicism and continue to affirm that live really is good and it can be whatever we make it. Keep up the brilliant work you donkeys.

Go Cardinals. Take down those Mets, or pond scum as we used to call them in the early 80s.

Stay Profitable and don't forget Sunday:

15 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

As a ruined New Englander I should take offence to your comments.. but I enjoy your brashness.. keep it up Miami and good luck with those Cards tonight.. both the team and the felt versions.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger mookie99 said...

At first I thought someone may have hijacked your blog..until I read this line...

"Keep up the brilliant work you donkeys."

Ahhh that's the Don I know.

In all seriousness, great post. I too love being a part of all this with my "little Internet friends".

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger BrainMc said...

I really enjoyed the positive post. It is easy to get PO'd at anti gambling bills, poker sites kicking us of and now Neteller on the fence. Thanks for a "light at the end of the tunnel" thoughts. Let's just hope that light isn't the train coming. I am seriously considering the December Vegas get together and maybe it will be 200 strong. Also thanks for the "big game." I will attempt to get in the next one on some tokens.

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironic. I just started blogging a couple months ago and just added you to my feeds today. I can already tell that there's a serious clique thing going on, and this blogsphere, if you will, has carved out its niche in the poker world. You guys, spread all over this country, and in some instances, planet, are closer knit than some groups of friends that see each other every day.

Its a cool thing to see, and I look forward to seeing it evolve.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

Shut up. Just shut up.

You had me at hello.

heh heh.

Nice post, brotha.

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger HighOnPoker said...

My father always said that a true friend is someone who could get a phone call from you at 3am during the week asking him to pick you up at the airport and the only question he would ask is what terminal. I'd say that there are more than a few of you poker degenerates who would probably help out in that situation.

Well said, Don. One of the major reasons why we seem so tight is that, regardless of where we are physically, we all share the same passions: poker, blogging (or writing), and our own inflated egos. In your daily life, you run into people with the same geography, but its a lot harder to find people with the same passions.

Any Iak, funny comment.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Jules said...

Great post babe..You're right about the honour amoungst theives thing. There is a level of trust and camraderie which online communities are lucky to develop.

Now, get your ass to aussie millions so we can fleece the fish at the live cash tables.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

excellent post Don. i'm still gonna try to steal your BB tho.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Ignatious said...

tis a cliche but i gotta say it.

superb post, don.

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger katitude said...

Don, you rock *hugs*

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger GaryC said...

Don,

I have to honestly say, I didn't think you had it in you. Very nice post and next time I come to Vegas, brothers gotta hug!

This clique is pretty unique, I think we all agree on that.

See you Sunday.

G

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Love_elf said...

DON - I'm sending help - Smokkee will be there on Friday, the 27th.

I will allow him to stay until Sunday. You boyzzz have fun - but not too much. LOL

Much Love...elf

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Joanne1111 said...

awesome post, Don. Right on the mark, too.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger HighOnPoker said...

A reader/non-blogger wanted to play in the Blogger Big Game. Don, thumbs up or thumbs down? He's a repeat commentor, and not just a fly-by-night person who heard about the tournament by accident. I don't mind either way. Let me know.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Hey Don, what's the best movie you've seen in ten years?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home