Friday, January 12, 2007

MTT Struggles

For about the 100th time I'm trying to evolve from a cash game player into someone that can see results in MTTs. Every other time I gave up fairly early after bad runs and went back to the cash arena where I have continued successes. This time I'm forcing myself to work through yet another bad run and it's driving me insane.

Bad beats, bad timing, bad mistakes, too tight, too aggressive, on and on it goes. Im determined to break through this but there is no way I'm going to put myself through this week after week month after month. Luckily I haven't let the frustration creep into my cash games and ruin my only source of income.

One of the problems I've identified is I'm too impatient. I can sit at a cash table for 18 hours straight and muck bad hand after bad hand yet in the early levels of MTTs I notice a certain level of "must play a hand." At these early levels you're almost certain to get action on any preflop raise and I've been too aggressive firing one or two bullets with air that my stack has been lessen too quickly.

Also playing small pocket pairs or gapped connectors is a hit or miss proposition and when missed wind up being costly. Or if I go through the first three or so levels having no playable cards whatsoever and I start waiting for a monster, or anything really to play with, it sort of becomes almost an all-in situation if your pre-flop bet gets called.

I hate the level where you're unable to do anything other than push pre-flop or with a C-bet. Being unable to float, or bluff, or push people off hands is not any way to play poker. It has me longing for deep stack cash games where much more skill and guile is involved.

In playing more of these MTTs I have noticed the donkey level is usually Code Red. UTG limps with KT sooted, MP raises with KJ or QT sooted, pushing all-in in level 1 or level 2 with second or third pair Ace kicker. How about big stacks limping on every single hand then calling station everything down? It's amazing really.

Maybe one of these days I'll go on a heater see what a cash tastes like.

Oh well thanks for the vent. I'm going to keep plugging away at this until I get it figured out or it starts affecting my cash game/bankroll.

Is anybody playing in the Big Game Sunday? One sign-up so far and it's me.

4 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Mondogarage said...

I'm planning taking one or two shots at a $75 token, and I'll play if I get one. My current BR does not like $75 buy-ins...

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Fuel55 said...

I signed up to get the ball rolling.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger D said...

I'm the exact opposite, my impatience kills me in the cash game. I guess in the MTT as long as I see the list of people remaining shrinking I can remain patient. I also know that most likely that patience will help me steal in the levels where the blinds mean something.

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Hey Don, I will be playing on Sunday fo sho.

Btw, I don't know if you're talking about online or live mtt's, but in my experience, I play about 85 times better when I open at least 1 if not 2 other mtts and have them going at the same time as the first. I know it sounds like a lot, but believe me I have the same impatience issues that you do, and the multiple games going on simultaneously really helps me to wade through the long periods of doing nothing. I basically always at least 2-table, and usually more like 3-table, whenever I'm playing a significant mtt. Again I know a lot of people will say just the opposite, they can't focus as well on the big one if they've got 1 or 2 other tournaments going at the same time, but for me I need the distraction from the long stretches of boredom in each. There is no doubt at all that, for me, my performance in all my mtts goes up noticeably if I'm playing more than one at the same time.

Of course, if you're talking about live poker tournaments, then please disregard everything I just said there.

See you Sunday night man, looking forward to some more donkery while I'm also running in the weekly HORSE 30k tourney on full tilt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home