Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Oh Well

Ever have one of those days where you felt like you played awesome poker yet wound up down a buy-in or perhaps more? That was my day today. I was pissed for awhile but the more I think about it the more I think it was a day of growth.

I've always read about maximizing winning hands/session and minimizing losing hands/sessions but I truly feel that today I really understand what that means and right now I'm able to look at the big picture and know my game is progressing in a very positive way.

Today was a day if my hands held I win $2K but they didn't and through it all only I was only down a buy-in. If I didn't make the right reads, and my reads were dead on, I could have lost $2K just as easily. When I was good I got paid and when my good hands turned bad I was able to get off the hand and keep most of my chips. Until the last hand that is where KK lost to AA all-in preflop.

I've really been digging the $2/5 game as its mostly played post-flop and there are lot of decisions and/or moves to make on every street unlike MTT's or $1/2 where so many times the game is played pre-flop or directly after the flop. It allows for more slowplaying and trapping but it also allows players to float or play position in the hopes of taking down nice sized pots later in the action.

Early on I limp JT sooted in MP and flop a flush. I wind up with a higher flush than the guy on my left and start off up almost $350. After that with shit cards I was stealing limps from either late position or the blinds and was raising and taking down pots from aggression or floating and manuevering.

First tough hand was KK on the button. I raise it to $40 over two limpers and get a call from the BB. Flop was T73 rainbow, he check calls my C-bet, turn another T again he check calls my C-bet, which has me very suspicious, river a 7 he checks I check and lost to AT. Yes that was an easy play on the button but even though I didn't fire on the river it was still a costly pot.

I complete from the SB with K3 and six see the flop of Q33. I lead out get re-raised, I call, turn is a blank I bet get called, river a Q, I check he goes all-in I fold he shows a Q. Another extremely unlucky and expensive hand but really an easy lay-down.

This has me back to even or so and I win 4 or 5 decent pots over the course of an hour to get back ahead. In the SB I find JJ and raise it to $60 after 6 limpers and get a call from the UTG. Flop is A87 two spades. I think about the hand and decide no way he played Ace/anything UTG to a raise so he definitely has a pocket pair so my JJ is probably good. I bet $100 and get raised to $250. I go into the tank hard on this one and really go over everything about this player and decide he doesn't have an Ace but a set. I lay it down face up and he shows 88 for the set. Again not so hard a lay down with the Ace but a good read and money saver yet still expensive.

Finally I pick up KK in the CO. This Super donkey who I've seen either bluff off thousands or suck out for thousands all weekend raises to $15 UTG. I re-raise it $50 and he makes it $100. AA definitely crosses my mind but I think this donk is on a lower pair and I'm good. I re-raise, he pushes, I call he turns over AA and even flops an Ace to put me out of my misery.

I left pretty pissed off. After I settled down I realized I played well, made some tough yet not impossible laydowns and wound up going broke KK vs AA pre-flop which I can't regret one bit. It could have been a much better session and it could have been so much worse. What it did do though is give me confidence as I move forward trying to make a living in Vegas playing poker.

The goal is to lose as little on the rough days and win as much as possible on the good days. Today I lost the least amount possible and it was a very good day.

Tomorrow is a day of errands and lots of online poker. No way I'm missing this.



See all you Super Donks there.

6 Comments:

At 10:56 AM, Blogger lucko said...

Sounds like you were on your game. I like how you played all those hands.

One hand I probably play a little different was the KK vs AT hand. I probably check behind on the turn and call a river bet. I think you get more value out of your hand that way. Hands like 88 or 66 could have called on the flop and probably go away on the turn. They might make a river bet if you give them some room too.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger pokerpeaker said...

Good post, Don, something I can refer to when I have days like that. It's hard to feel good about your play laying down big hands and yet that's what saves a lot of money.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

I agree with Lucko, I basically like how you played all those hands.

One thing on the KK vs. AA hand. I'm not one to lay down Kings preflop myself, but at the same time, Phil Gordon said it first in Little Green Book and it really holds true -- the third raise is usually Aces, and the fourth raise is always Aces. When he raised, you reraised and then he re-reraised but not that big, I am definitely thinking Aces. Not that I would have laid it down mind you, but I would have probably assumed I was beat at that point. Of course the phucking Ace flops just for good measure, live poker is so effing rigged.

See you tonight for Hammer Night.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

Yeah - you made good laydowns - but what were you wearing and why didn't you post any pictures for us to see?

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Raveen said...

yea man looks like you played well but just got unlucky. And lucky is absolutely right Id check the turn with check calling the river in order to gain money/lose less the times I'm beat.

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger HighOnPoker said...

The way that you described the hands and your plays, its clear that you were playing very well. Some days are just like that, and you are correct wthat all you can do is lose the minimum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home