Monday, March 26, 2007

Regional Finals Weekend

Well it's been a tournament of mostly favorites which doesn't bode well for a dog bettor and man I never lost so many games in the last seconds as I did throughout this whole weekend.

It started Thursday with Chicago hitting a buzzer beater to cost me a +135 moneyline on Denver. Friday was complete heartbreak as USC getting eight points couldn't hold a 16 point lead and loses by 10. Thanks for the hissy fit Tim Floyd. I'm still sick as I write this. Saturday I get unstuck by betting the Over in the Ohio St-Memphis game but then a switch at the last minute from UCLA to Kansas and I take another loss. Yesterday everything I touched went to shit. Oregon lost the spread in the last 30 seconds and I got beaten at the buzzer in the Bulls-Pacers game. Wow one after the other.

Now this isn't some post about bad beats, it's just to show how close I came to having an exceptional weekend instead of a piss poor one. Although if you take the money and the sports betting out of the equation it was one of the best weekends I had in a long time.

I spent most of it at the Red Rock Sports book with Pauly, Derek, and Change 100 and it was filled with laughter, story telling, shit talking, and sweating the games.

One of the advantages of living in Vegas is meeting fellow bloggers on their trips out here. The benefit is a lot more one-on-one time than what you get at any of the big blogger gatherings and through this I've gotten to know a few people really well--that and room keys for various pools--and some of these people have become true friends. Here's the test I was enlightened to, could I drive cross country with them in a car with no AC or radio even? After four days of up close and personal with this crew they certainly pass that test and I feel like I would pass that same test with them. So Pauly, Derek, and Change my friends, it was a wonderful time and I look forward to doing it again some time in the near future.

Has anybody noticed that two teams in the Final Four have no business being there other than bad officiating? An obvious intentional foul against Greg (18 going on 39) Oden is not called and the Luckeyes get it into OT where the beat Xavier and Jeff Green changing pivot feet not once but twice to hit a game winner against a tough as nails Vanderbilt squad. So next Saturday we have the cheaters bracket with Georgetown vs Ohio St. and the non-cheaters bracket with UCLA vs Florida. Should be two terrific games.

Also in case anybody is unsure, Georgetown, the Alma mater of tournament poker stud Hoyazo is a rather high end prestigious private school locating in Washington DC and not some ghetto ass city commuter college located in Washington DC. I haven't seen a white guy on the Hoyas bench either as a player, ball boy, towel boy, manager, or stat keeper since they became a National Power in the early 80s. Jeez you would think Georgetown is DCs answer to Temple University in Philly. Surely I jest.

The sports book got very tense during the last five minutes of the Florida-Oregon game yesterday as the game was back and forth the spread number. The bettors were about 50/50 between the two so there were a ton of ups and downs, screaming, and pacing, for those last minutes. Ah gamblers paradise, the whole sports book sweating the big game as it comes down to the wire.

Does anybody hate Jokiam Noah as much as me? Have Change 100 tell you our thoughts on the rally stick idea we came up with for opposing fans. Too funny.

Alright today is errands, house cleaning, bill paying, and all that other catching up stuff that I've not gotten around to for a few days. Time to wrap up the end of the month stuff so I'll have the schedule clean for next weekends games and lots of poker at the Bellagio.

7 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Blogger jjok said...

Noah's a punk.

Go UCLA.

Jealousy you got to watch the games at the sports book.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Take Georgetown and the points man, just some friendly advice. The refs are going to make sure we win it, and plus with the way OSU has been playing in this tournament, we're probably better than them anyways. You get Georgetown, and you get a few points to boot? Gotta do it man.

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Derek McG said...

great times bro. i had a blast hanging out!

 
At 2:39 AM, Blogger Dr. Pauly said...

Awesome times bro. Too bad UNC fucked us.

 
At 5:40 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BRUINS ! ! !

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger StB said...

Funny, I made a comment on Friday that I was shocked that G'Town had a white guy on the floor. But they went in for a close up and I was proven wrong.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Yeah StB I think you were probably talking about Jeremiah Rivers, our backup point guard who's been getting some solid pt of late. But yeah don't let the looks fool you, he ain't a caucasian. One way that JTIII is following in his father's footsteps I guess.

When I was at Georgetown in the early 1990s, there was one white guy. Name was Brian Kelly, I used to know him a little bit. I think that's the last whitey I can remember on my team.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home