Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Austin Days 1 and 2

I'm finally starting to feel "normal" again after 4.5 days in Austin and a day on my ass in back home in Vegas. Yesterday was mostly catching up on the DVR, reading a couple blogs, studying my fantasy teams, and bubbling the final table at the MATH. Not much motivation yet today but I'm hoping to get to the Venetian at some point for some live action.

Quick edit. It's now Wednesday and yes I played at the Venetian yesterday. Was basically card dead but hit two hands hard. Flopped bottom set and slow played it enough to trap an aggro donkey for a big pot, then flopped a Q high flush in the SB in a 7 way limped pot. I check BB bet $40 it folded to me I called, turn a blank, he bet $75 I check raised to $225, he pushed for about $2700, I called he mucked. So I scooped a nice $1700 pot there. Nice to have a dream session like that, completely card dead except for flopping monsters as it keeps from bleeding chips on spec or 2nd best hands. Three hours just over two racks. Wish they could all be like that.

Alright time to recap Austin. First off a big thanks to Scott, and Mr & Mrs Mookie for their wonderful hospitality. Underground poker, rides, great restaurants, beds, golf, the Big O, on and on it goes. Next year we really need to make this thing our spring break spot as it fits nicely in between the Winter and Summer Classics. Start planning for 2008 because its well worth it.

Weak and I got into Austin around 5pm and headed over to Scott's game for a $70 buy-in MTT with 21 players. There was some unusual play and I for the most part played only good hands and let the donks knock each other out. Down to 7 or so at the final table and on a few hands we saw an EP min raise with three callers. On either two or three occasions the big stacks wound up battling with the 2nd stack getting eliminated so really I folded my way to third place for a +140 profit. Sat in the must move cash game for a couple hours afterwards and played small balls for a few pots.

Thursday was a marathon day. We played from 1pm to midnight with a 90 break for a couple Sam Adams and Patrons at this happening bar right down the hill from the game. What was extremely strange is a couple players at the game recognized me and said they read my blog and they said they were excited to be playing with a Vegas pro. I guess I do play for a living even though I'm only playing $500 or $1000 buy-in low limit games here in Vegas and while it was kinda cool frankly it was a bit awkward and to hear that for the first time.

I bought in for the standard $200 and was able to win a nice pot early. I had 55 in the SB and called after a raise and two calls. Flop was KQ5. I checked, initial raiser bets, button calls, I check raise, intial raiser and caller both push. My bottom set was up against KQ and a nut flush draw and it held up so I was off and running.

The game was slighty loose and the common theme is most players where ready to go to the felt with either TP any kicker or any flush draw so I played a very tight and aggressive style. No sense mixing it up and trying to outplay postflop when you could be facing an all-in with what could amount to the pusher having any two cards.

I called a raise on the button with 9T and saw a flop of 9TQ two clubs. I made a stab and taking it down with a reraise but we lost nobody and a 8c on the turn certainly didn't help. Luckily it was checked around and the river brought a 9 for a full house. EP lead out and it folded to me and I reraised but she folded a straight face up. She was worried about the flush so that killed my action. That is one of those hands you are hoping someone has the nut flush so you can take down a big pot.

I grinded my way up to about $900 in chips though by nut peddling or taking down smallish pots that nobody seem to want when I pulled this hand out of my ass. I announced I was playing my last orbit and mucked around until I was UTG and I told the table I was going to live straddle and play the hand in the dark as long as I could.

I think four players limped in for the $5 and I made it $30 to go using my straddle option. I get one caller and we see a flop of 775. I made it $50 to go and the player called. Turn was an A and I said I don't think I have the sac to bet this so I checked and the player checked behind. Now I'm not in the habit of playing hands in the dark but I was really trying hard to watch the other player to see if maybe he would show how strong or weak his hand might be. Regardless I was a tad buzzed, I had been winning but I was nervous that I was going to look like a complete ass when the hand was over.

Anyway the turn is a 2 so there are no straight or flushes but I check. Again not enough sac to bet into this guy who was smooth calling. He fires $35 but there is no way I can fold to that smallish bet. Even in the dark its a no brainer to call a $35 bet into a $200 or so I say I call. This other player amazingly says, "Fuck nice call I got nothing." I'm thinking well buddy you're nothing might beat my hand because don't forget I haven't looked at it yet. Somehow in only playing his cards he forgot that I hadn't looked.

By this time every one is on the edge of their seats and its gotten real quiet so I throw in $35 worth of chips and turn over AK for two pair. The place goes crazy. No fawking way. I get pushed a $200+ pot and say, "Well I guess that's how you play AK." What a luckbox donkey. Things were going well and that capped what was a very profitable two days in my first experience playing in an underground club.

I will say if any is going to Austin look Scott up and get to his club to play. The owner and his girlfriend are very friendly and hospitible people and the room if full of snacks, waters, soda, beer, and every day they have a hot meal prepared that last all day. We ate pot roast, brisket, sausage, rice, veggies which was all delicious.

That's it for now. I'll get to the remainder of the trip tomorrow or Friday. Right now I'm going to rest a bit and get ready to head down to Bellagio and Caesars. I'm starting with some cash games but I might try and satellite into one of the WPT events at Caesars. We'll see how juicy the cash games are first.

Stay Profitable.

10 Comments:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Fuel55 said...

"edit subscription unsubscribe mark all new related feeds 47 subscribers Vegas Poker Scene
Life and Poker in Las Vegas among other things?
1 Item Updated: Wed, Apr 25 2007 11:13 AM
Austin Days 1 and 2
By Miami Don

I'm finally starting to feel "normal" again after 4.5 days in Austin and a day on my ass in back home in Vegas. Yesterday was mostly catching up on the DVR, reading a couple blogs, studying my fantasy teams, and bubbling the final table at the MATH. Not much motivation yet today but I'm hoping to get to the Venetian at some point for some live action.

Quick edit. It's now Wednesday and yes I played at the Venetian yesterday. Was basically card dead but hit two hands hard. Flopped bottom set and slow played it enough to trap an aggro donkey for a big pot, then flopped a Q high flush in the SB in a 7 way limped pot. I check BB bet $40 it folded to me I called, turn a blank, he bet $75 I check raised to $225, he pushed for about $2700, I called he mucked. So I scooped a nice $1700 pot there. Nice to have a dream session like that, completely card dead except for flopping monsters as it keeps from bleeding chips on spec or 2nd best hands. Three hours just over two racks. Wish they could all be like that.

Alright time to recap Austin. First off a big thanks to Scott, and Mr & Mrs Mookie for their wonderful hospitality. Underground poker, rides, great restaurants, beds, golf, the Big O, on and on it goes. Next year we really need to make this thing our spring break spot as it fits nicely in between the Winter and Summer Classics. Start planning for 2008 because its well worth it.

Weak and I got into Austin around 5pm and headed over to Scott's game for a $70 buy-in MTT with 21 players. There was some unusual play and I for the most part played only good hands and let the donks knock each other out. Down to 7 or so at the final table and on a few hands we saw an EP min raise with three callers. On either two or three occasions the big stacks wound up battling with the 2nd stack getting eliminated so really I folded my way to third place for a +140 profit. Sat in the must move cash game for a couple hours afterwards and played small balls for a few pots.

Thursday was a marathon day. We played from 1pm to midnight with a 90 break for a couple Sam Adams and Patrons at this happening bar right down the hill from the game. What was extremely strange is a couple players at the game recognized me and said they read my blog and they said they were excited to be playing with a Vegas pro. I guess I do play for a living even though I'm only playing $500 or $1000 buy-in low limit games here in Vegas and while it was kinda cool frankly it was a bit awkward and to hear that for the first time.

I bought in for the standard $200 and was able to win a nice pot early. I had 55 in the SB and called after a raise and two calls. Flop was KQ5. I checked, initial raiser bets, button calls, I check raise, intial raiser and caller both push. My bottom set was up against KQ and a nut flush draw and it held up so I was off and running. "

Presto is GOLD baby!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

u should play all ur hands in the dark Don.

well done.

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Raveen said...

hahah thats the best in the dark story I've heard yet....AK is for wimps who want to look at there hands preflop...

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

God damn. All you write about is poker and sports.

Throw some dancing with the stars in there.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Irongirl01 said...

You need to rest up after a weekend like that? If I can play poker for hours and then dance for hours you can finish your trip report in one session. Gals keep guys waiting not the other way around..

Nice Score there MD on the $1700 pot.

Love the new tag Mookie gave yah.

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger drewspop said...

Sorry I missed it bro. I'll be in touch soon about my next visit.

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Iakaris aka I.A.K. said...

nice tah have you home. but i agree...little more dancing with the stars would be good.

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger April said...

It was great seeing you Don, come back anytime!

 
At 1:23 AM, Blogger Isaac said...

Heya Don!

Glad to hear you have a fun and profitable time in our fair city. Sorry I missed out on the AK "in the dark" hand, sounds classic. Anyways, was nice to meet you and maybe I will see you on the flipside.

Isaac

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger "The Rake" said...

If I read one thing about dancing with the stars on Don's blog, I will throw my last hundred in and call it a night.

Don't do it man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home