Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Live Hands

Doesn't look like I'll be able to play in a BBT event until at least next Monday and that will probably be the only one for the next two weeks so you donks will have a chance to catch up in the standings. Get those points while you can because when I come back I'll be fresh and ready to spank some more ass.

Alright a couple of live hand histories for you're reading pleasure. The first one I didn't play but the guy who did gave me the breakdown and I thought it interesting enough to post. Feel free to comment with your thoughts about how the hands were played and how maybe you would have played them.

$10/20 NL Bellagio. Almost everyone bought in with $10K and as you can imagine it's a wild game. Major bluffs, players representing hands, and this is only the AAA game as the $25/50 game has $50K stacks. Anyway bad decisions can result in 5 figure loses so you definitely need to be on top of your game.

My buddy is on the button with 9d 9h. UTG, a maniac raises 12x to $240 and gets a call from both the hijack and CO. First tough decision is either raise or call and my buddy elects to call playing this hand both from position and for set value. As most of you are probably aware the higher up you play the more valuable position is, and in most cases its more important than you cards.

So there is a nice $960 in the pot as the flop comes Ks 9s 8c. UTG immediately fires $750 into the pot and the hijack and CO both fold. Decision number two, raise or call. My buddy elects to call hoping UTG will keep firing and he can slow play his way to a big pot.

Pot is $2460 and the turn is a 7d making the board even scarier. UTG checks decision time again. Straight and flush draws everywhere perhaps facing KK, my buddy checks again. His reasoning here was he didn't want to bet then face a check-raise for what probably would have committed his stack and if he is ahead he might induce a bluff on the river. As I move up I've noticed that good players will mix-up C-bets or overbets for value with checking the turn. Sometimes by checking the turn with good hands, even on scary boards, the hope is of inducing a semi-bluff or that the opponent will improve the hand but not catch up. I think I bet in this situation and hope not to be behind KK or JT and also hope I don't get drawn out on the river.

River is a 6s completely making a mess on the board. There is four to a straight, three to a flush and the maniac UTG could have anything. UTG bets $1800, about 3/4 pot. What now? Is he value betting or is he bluffing? My buddy winds up calling again and UTG turns over AA. So my buddies 99 takes down the pot but he's not at all sure he played the hand correctly. He did ask for a lot of different opinions on how he played the hand and he got a wide variety of answers. Of course playing at that level makes the decisions much more tricky but still you have to play the hand relative to the stacks.

Alright my hand from this weekend. I'm playing $2/5 at the Venetian with a $1000 max buy-in which makes the game more like $5/10. There are maybe only two soft spots at the whole table and its mostly a aggro game with lots of plays and bluffs being made.

I limp UTG with 6h 6d. Aggro guy to my right makes it $15, MP calls, CO calls, both blinds come along so of course I call. So ugh, six way flop with $90 in the pot. Flop comes 4d 6c 7s. What to do here?

Both blinds check so I bet out half pot $45 as an info/blocking bet. Hopefully this will give me some info as to where I am in the hand or at least we can narrow the field. Initial raiser makes it $90, MP calls, CO folds, SB check-raises it to $200 and the BB folds. Decision time now.

I have middle set and I have two players to act after me. Initial raiser has about $1700, caller has about $250, and SB has about $450 left after his raise and I have about $700.

Sets are not always golden and I've laid down bottom set on a couple occasions. Nothing worse than having set under set and seeing your stack dead to a two outer. Also lot of players will fold middle set here, hoping to find a better spot to get all their money in but I'm not sure thats the way to go either. What's the decsion here?

I really go into the tank on this one. Did SB wake up with 58 and flop a straight? Thats my main concern. No way he just calls if he did flop the straight as he's got to try and get maximum value and if he thinks someone has a set he has to worry about the board pairing. He also can be making a play at a scary board trying to represent a hand in hopes of landing a nice pot.

Also what might the caller have. No Limit Theory and Hold'em has some interesting points about "Beware of the Overcaller," and I know sometimes I'll call in situations such as this with a great hand or a draw in hopes of either inducing a bluff into my made hand or getting value and odds if I'm drawing.

I'm really taking my time here trying to decide what the small blind has and finally one of the donks calls time on me. Floor comes over with the whole speech and after about 15 seconds on the clock I jam all-in. If the SB has 58 oh well, I still have outs, if he has 77 oh well again, I'm going broke on this juicy pot with set under set.

Initial raiser folds and the caller calls again. Yikes. The SB immediately calls too and now I think I'm dead. I turn over my 66 for middle set, caller turns over 75 for TP and OESD, and SB turns over 44 for bottom set. Wow I'm ahead. Now the math here is not perfect as I'm doing this from memory but we have a main pot of about $1200 and a side pot of about $620.

The turn is a Jh. Nice, one card left to take down a monster pot. The river is a 8h giving the short stacked donkey the straight. Fuck live poker is rigged. Just like that down I go. I went from profiting $1000 on that hand to down $50 since at least I did win the side pot.

Anyway, some good examples of decisions faced playing deep stack cash games. Usually its one sometimes two hands that dictate whether or not the session is good, bad, or indifferent. BTW the guy who lost that pot with bottom set rebought for $500 and lost it all about 5 hands later with flush over flush. Poor fucker. I wound up down about $125 for the session but man what could have been.

Off to Austin tomorrow.

6 Comments:

At 3:14 PM, Blogger Falstaff said...

I like the way you played your hand (but I went broke with set under set last weekend for a $700 pot in a 1/2 game, so I overvalue my sets), but I don't really like the way your friend played the first hand.

Calling on every street is way too passive for my tastes, I want to find out where I am on that scary flop, so I'm probably sticking out a raise as soon as the flop comes down. Then if I get a call, I think my opponent was semi-bluffing a draw, or I pick up the hand right there. I just don't like going all the way to the river without trying to find out all the information I can.

 
At 4:19 PM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

Good hand you donkey! You found out nothing and just pushed for the hell of it.. heh. A lot of these types of hands seem to be situational and if you make the right read your a genius, if you make the wrong one your an idiot.

Say hello to Mrs. Mook for me.. give her a nice kiss with alot of tongue..

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger Drizztdj said...

Was the maniac from your friend's hand liable to stack off with an overpair?

If so, I'd definitely give thought to a minor overbet and make it look like your friend was betting AK.

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger HighOnPoker said...

I like the play on the 5/10NL hand. Your friend went passive, moreso than I would've, likely because he was sensing strength from the AA. Caution is the better part of valor here, and I don't mind his play at all.

As for your hands, ballz of steel, my man. Reading your analysis, I was also convinced that the SB had the straight. I have a similar situation recently with my JJ on a KJT flop with a spade flush draw and two players raising big and all-in right in front of me. Ultimately, I pushed all-in on top like you did. I think in both situations, you have to tell yourself not to fear the monster under the bed and make the push.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Raveen said...

Your friend first:

His call preflop was exactly the right play given the situations stacks and everything. And calling the flop bet on a K98 board is something I would do considering the dude is a maniac. When I was first reading this I put the maniac on a JJ QQ hand so 99 is pretty well ahead there. The maniacs check on the turn and your friend's check on the turn show a bit of fear in the amount of money that he was playing with. I understand the idea of checking in order to induce a semi-bluff etc etc thats all normal cash game theory. But checking that spot with a 7 falling there I feel you HAVE to find out where your at, espeically against a maniac.

The river call is something I would have made too because of the bet. When you said the bet was 3/4 pot I automatically assumed bluffing at the board type bet because a player with the straight there would be betting for value and not betting that strong. I like his river call.


Your hand:

Great read on your part, initially reading your hands I had the min raiser on an over pair and the SB on top two pair. You had to feel as though your set was good because for one I highly doubt a player with a flopped straight would have the discipline to raise it to only 2 1/2X the RR. I feel like he would have had to raised it to 4X or greater to protect his hand and get the set to commit. Sucks that you got drawn out though can't believe the dude only had a pair with an open draw....donkeyness

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger DP said...

I wouldn't have checked the turn in that $5/$10 NL hand.

That river call is marginal the way he played it...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home