Tuesday, April 10, 2007

What a Run

This MTT run has been unreal to say the least, which is somewhat ironic since I'm the biggest shit talker against MTT out here. I like cash games, we all know that, and we also know that running hot in MTTs is not unusal, as months of total frustration can pay off in multiple cashes in a short period.

I did it against bloggers which of course is no small feat, guys like Hoyazo, Iak, Smokkee, and Lucko have gone deep in many much bigger events both player wise and cash wise. That's what I look forward too, cashing on their levels.

Cash donk vs MTT donk has always been a debate, they are two totally different games though similiar yet different. What I've been trying to do lately is incorporate traits from cash games and use it to my advantage in MTTs. Yes, luck is involved, a suckout here or there is necessary, we have to win our coin flips when they matter, and good cards are important too, but there is also a level of skill that can be a deciding factor as well. Here are a couple of thoughts on how I've tried to improve my MTT play.

I don't write many strategy posts, mostly because I'm lazy, but I read a ton about poker and I study and simulate hand histories and what I'm finding to be most important for me right now is getting to the turn. IMO poker is about being the best player over time playing the turn. I've found most MTTs are played pre-flop and flop, what I'm trying to do is get a hand I'm involved in to the turn where I feel I have better experience playing then those who mostly play MTTs. Thats been the primary adjustment that has helped my MTT game, getting to the turn.

Poker is also about reads, and playing online has been great practice for me to work on reads without the body language involved, so that means betting patterns and style. Does weak equal weak or does it equal strong, or vice versa, who is capable of folding and who is going to the felt with TPTK, who will fold their blinds unless they have a monster. This is an aspect that I think is not truly used by most players. Yes we have our reads but how much do we really focus on them and more importantly how often to we use them.

I try to avoid coin flips early on unless I'm going backwards fast. I think I can find some easier money as a 70% favorite or with some serious fold equity than I can by trusting the flip of a coin. Sometimes it's unavoidable but I work on trying not to get in that spot. Now later on I think there are spots you need to gamble on what might be coin flips and some of that gamble has to be by calling. Yes calling.

As a shortie, its first in all in and only calling with a monster but if you get a above level in chips I think sometimes its worth a gamble to resteal or even call an all-in bet with small pockets pairs or hands like AQ. Here its about the player you are playing against its also about whether winning or just getting in the money is the goal.

Enough about that. Of course there are tons of other factors but those are a few things that have made my game better. Now on to the Big Game this Sunday. Here are some sample prize pools based on the amount of players.

25 players $1725 prize pool.
1st- $862.50
2nd- $517.50
3rd- $345.00

30 players $2070 prize pool.
1st- $931.50
2nd- $517.50
3rd- $372.60
4th- $248.40

37 players $2553 prize pool.
1st- $1021.20
2nd- $587.19
3rd- $408.48
4th- $306.36
5th- $229.77

Token Frenzy 21:45 nightly $14+1.

4 Comments:

At 4:53 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

you're well on ur way Don.

i built my MTT confidence winning blogger tourneys and low buy-in satellites a coupla yrs ago.

that's when i figured out u don't need a big pocket pair to win every hand.

balls + luck = skill

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

It is going to be awesome seeing you make your first big mtt score man. I can sense it is coming.

Just don't play like too many of the bloggers and you'll be in good shape.

Donkeys.

Bounty on you tonight at the Mookie. I'll have it posted on my blog sometime Wednesday morning. You must be stopped.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Schaubs said...

GG last night sir. All good things must come to and end... now it's time for you to make a real MTT score.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Drizztdj said...

After playing in Vegas, I almost prefer live tourneys, especially for the $1 Cap'n Cokes :)

I have a frenzy token, just a matter of being home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home