Thursday, May 17, 2007

Working Stiff

I made the drive yesterday morning across Allligator Alley and again it was beautiful. It was mostly dark and cloudy and you could see huge rainbursts off in the distant, definitely a landscape I'm no longer familiar with living in Vegas. The solitude and sceneray was certainly worthwhile.

Put in a long day "consulting" yesterday and man, I hope I never have to work full-time every again. I was busy, time flew by, barely stopped for a meal, zero poker, limited girly chat, but in certain senses it was stimulating. There are many problems and issues to be dealt with getting this company back on its feet, but I pride myself as a problem solver, as I constantly live life in the solution, so I look forward to the challange. I also look forward to getting back to Vegas and long hours in either the sports book or poker table.

I'm not going to get into detail here today although I will attack the subject in some later posts but I'm really amazed lately by so many posts and comments on those posts about select hands and they way they are played from both perpectives. What I mean is I'm surprised at so much shallow thinking and IMO how players don't see the depth of poker and really how wrong their thinking can be at times. The goal is to win the most chips possible, whether it be tournament or a cash game, and there are certain means to do this. I would recommend that many players dust off the textbooks and learn how better play scary board, learn how to trap, and when the time is right learn how to slow-play.

Other than nuts vs second nuts, these are the best situations to win the most chips. My goal as a player is to get all my chips committed as a 70%+ favorite. My goal is not to win a quarter of my opponents chips by betting them off hands too early instead of letting them try to catch up a little so I can get all their chips. Slow-play folks, put it in your playbook and use it to your advantage along with trapping over aggressive players.

I've saved so much money because players get in such a hurry to play their great hands that they push me off on the flop instead of getting tricky and trapping my ass. It's one of my favorite things, I have AK and raise preflop and get called by say one of the blinds with 44. Flop comes A94 but two suited, they check their set, I C-bet, and they overbet check raise me and I fold. I usually thank them for saving me money and I like asking why they bet me off the hand and the answer is most always, "well there was a flush draw out there." Whatever, we're HU, slow play and get all my chips.

Sunday should be a big poker day for all of us MTT donks. The Full Tilt FTOPS Main Event starts at 18:00 and that will be paired with every bloggers favorite tournament; The Big Game at 21:30. Last month's prize pool may have been an all-time blogger record as 53 players donked it out for a $3657 prize pool, and a whopping $1389.66 first place. Hopefully everyone either has their tokens or are working dilligently towards getting them as this event is just too juicy to pass up. Hell buy-in straight if need be but make it out for the toughest monthly event in blogger land.

7 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger DuggleBogey said...

Shouldn't you have slow played your "monster" pair with a big kicker there?

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger cmitch said...

I remember playing in a live tourney and had 99 in the BB. I called a preflop late position raise from a rock. The flop came 977. I checked and the rock checked. Turn was meaningless 3. I bet about half the pot, the rock called. The river paired the 3. I bet about 3/4 of the pot hoping an Ace might call. The rock called and mucked his AK when I showed my full house.

The guy to my immediate left said, "Very nice hand. Why the hell didn't you go all-in?" I just said something like, "I guess I should have. I'll know for next time." I was very glad he was at my table. :)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Instant Tragedy: Just Add Sean said...

I join my comrade duggle in the question of slowplaying TPGK in your position. Check and see if he bets back at you?

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger SirFWALGMan said...

You know why people cant slow play TPTK? Cause they are SO bad at reading people they can never trust they are ahead.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger bayne_s said...

I tried slowplaying you after flopping Top Set in MATH Monday. You never bit. If Hoy hadn't been in hand wouldn't have made any chips at all.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Well said, Don. I agree whole heartedly that people seem to be a bit rigid in their views on the one "right" way to play, and that people always love to jump on someone for taking some time with a big hand and maybe just maybe in doing so even giving someone a 6% chance to catch up if it means a 75% chance of stacking the other guy if they don't.

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

sloplaying just TP after the flop is a recipe for disaster IMO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home