Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Back to Even

The games are slightly better than I thought they'd be although I'd still consider them soft since there are usually 3-5 super donkeys at any table. Just about every sharp I know from all the poker rooms I frequent in Vegas is playing at the Rio. Shit the other day before I knew it we had eight local ballahs at one table before we all decided to mix it up. The word from those experienced is as the WSOP continues the softer the games get so I'll see first hand if that is true or not.

So with all that said, yesterday I finally pulled myself back to even for the WSOP after two rocky starts. The progression has been from good hands getting beat, to card dead small losses, to card dead small wins, to good hands getting paid off.

Friday things started so promising. Within the first hour I got AA in the hijack raised it, get re-raised by the CO, I smooth called, flop came 8c 8d 9d, I jam, he goes in the tank finally says I think you have AK and calls. I turn over my Aces he turns over JJ. So right away I'm thinking this is gonna be sweet.

I while later I get QQ UTG. I make it $25 to go and get two callers. Flop comes Tc 7s 2d. I lead out for $50 and get min-raised to $100 by a good player. The other guy folds and I give this one some thought. Mostly good players will slow play a monster here and most tournament donks re-raise or check-raise with their monster so I thought maybe he was making a play but I was still somewhat leary that he had a set so I just call. Turn is 4d. I check he bets $75 into a $275 pot and I muck my QQ face up. He was stunned and turned over TT for a set. "How the fuck do you lay that down?" he complained. I told him straight up, "Your a good player and you were trying to trap, a min re-raise and a huge underbet?"

Very next hand in BB I have T3. This guy raises to only $15 gets four more callers so with odds I call. Flop comes Ah Td 3c. I check, he bets out $45, it folds around and I call. I put him on Ax and since it's HU I decide to slow play this one. Turn is a 6h, I check he checks. Shit, I was going to check-raise him on the turn and he peels one off instead. River is and 8h making it three to a flush and also a possible straight. I lead out for $125 thinking I'm golden here and he thinks a minute and calls. He turns over 88 for a rivered set. Fucker catches two sets in two hands. Just like that I'm back to even.

Next fun hand, I get Ah Kh and raise it to $25 only to get five callers. Flop comes Ac 9h 4h. I bet $75 next guy pushes all-in for $550 more. Talk about an overbet. It folds around to me and I'm like fuck oh well, I gotta call, he turns over A9 I go brick brick down a buy-in. So from up $500 to down $500 in just a few short hours.

I rebuy, chip up a bit and we play another fun hand. I get Kd Kh in the BB. UTG leads out for $30, it's called in four spots, I make it $150 to go and get one caller. So I'm thinking alright, either QQ, JJ, or AK. Flop comes Ts Js Qs. WTF!?
Should I just muck these fuckers now? I make it $200 to go, he check-raises me all-in. I muck and he shows my AK for flopped broadway. Looking back I probably should have just checked that hand down or folded as soon as he bet because I really don't see how I didn't get outflopped there.

That was an unfortunate day to wind up down as much as I did but sometimes that happens. Now that I'm back to even overall though it's like starting fresh all over again. Hopefully I can get some traction and make today profitable, hopefully using the cash game as my satellite into tomorrows $540 at Venetian. Obviously I'm mostly a cash game player but I look forward to the change of pace, and I'm actually a decent live tournament player so the sights will be set on Final Tabling that bad boy which is the first step to taking down that $50K first prize.

Hope everyone is staying profitable I look forward to seeing some old friends and making some new friends this weekend. Also don't forget to dress warm, it may be 100 degrees outside but its always very cold inside.

7 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Great post man, I love that faceup muck of the Queens. I so lose at least one more bet in that hand, but that's what makes me the cash donkey that I am. Great hands and great analysis, great writing too as always.

I will check in on Thursday for sure and best of luck at the Venetian. If I bust early from the WSOP on Thursday I will head over there and cheer you guys on, and maybe we can play some cash with whoever is not still in the tourney at that time.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Schaubs said...

Good luck this weekend, wish I could be there. Maybe in December.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

sometimes you gotta wonder how lucky you need to be to win at this game.

KK < AK
QQ < TT
flopped 2p < rivered set

WTF

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger jamyhawk said...

I have to say: Amazing laydown/read with QQ. I think that makes a great player when you can lay down the over-pair, when necessary.

Good luck in the fishtanks...

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger PokahDave said...

Good Luck

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

It takes that level of thinking to make those laydowns. The QQ one was not as tough as the KK one, but they were equally the right play. The KK situation I have been in before, so I understand where you are coming from. Some times you need to stick with your preflop read, even though it forces a very tough laydown post flop. When you put your opponnent squarely on TT-QQ and the flop comes QJT, your KK probably is not good, unless donk-boy is overplaying 66 preflop, which is much less likely then your TT-QQ range being correct.

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger smokkee said...

the Halos are in St. Louis to spank the Cards.

ummm bet all u can on the Angels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home