Thursday, June 21, 2007

Disappointing 10th

Blinds are 20,000/40,000/5000. Donkey with about 475,000 min-raised to 80,000, I shove for 365,000 with Ac Qc and donkey goes in tank, before finally makes a crying call saying, "I think I'm priced in." and turns over Qd Td. Flop comes Th 4d 3s, turn is Tc, river is a blank and I'm done in 10th place.

We decided to make the final table ten-handed so officially I made the final table but what a fucking disappointment. I win that hand I have $830K in chips and I'm in position to make a run at a very timid final table. So instead of playing for an $80K first prize I get $3K after tip.

I was playing to win though. Yes the money would have been nice and every step up meant I lot more money but unlike many I play to win. I was basically short at the final table and first two hands on button and CO I open shove without looking. Then came the fateful hand. Most of the players were only playing premiums and with a bigger chip stack, I would have been the aggressor at this table and I really felt like I could have good very deep.

Oh well. For a cash game player like myself I was nice to get a taste of going deep in a bigger event. The structure did suck as it got late and I think it's much better to play online MTTs for big scores even though I'm a much better live player. So it's back to the cash tables with the KOD this weekend as we seek out the donkey tourists to build our bankrolls one stacking at a time.

I'll try to go into more detail about the tournament and hands but right now I'm still just a bit disappointed to go through it.

One a bright note, I came home and played the blogger $200 cash game that thankfully appears to be a regular thing and I made $325 in two hours so that will be my satellite into a couple $50/50s and other MTTs as I try to carry my live momentum online.

Reminder, go get those tokens. The Big Game should have an all-time high prize pool and its certainly an event nobody should miss.

14 Comments:

At 4:23 PM, Blogger Gadzooks64 said...

I know you are disappointed but well done!

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger pokerpeaker said...

That really sucks, Don, but you played great. Hell, I'd take $3K large. That's my whole bankroll!

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger StB said...

Still a good score. Priced in? Digusting.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Q-10... what a f*ckin donk... But oh well. That's a call you wanted so what can you do (aside from smashing the dealer's head into the felt)... live poker is so rigged. Nonetheless, very well done!

 
At 5:27 PM, Blogger April said...

Terrible way to go out, but congrats on the finish. Very nice!

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger HighOnPoker said...

Congratulations on the deep run and my condolences for the way you went out. I can't remember who, but someone once said that it was about getting to that final table. If you can get there enough, it'll eventually be your day and you'll take it down. You've gotten there once. Keep at it and I'm sure the next time, the Tens won't come and you'll be sitting on $80k+ when its all said and done.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Schaubs said...

Nice score Don. Good luck this weekend too.

Hey, what's a guy to do to get a link around here anyway? ;)

later

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger lj said...

i know you are disappointed, and i get it, but 10th place out of 536 is so incredibly awesome!!! you'll clean out that QT donkey 7 days a week, except for the few times like that where he gets obscenely lucky. great job -- you are such a ballah.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger BigPirate said...

Great run!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Astin said...

Live poker is so rigged.

Congrats on the score. $2500 for two days work ain't so bad.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Matt Silverthorn said...

Damn, that sucks. Nice run at any rate. Congrats!

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Irongirl01 said...

Great job MD.. I think we all know you are not really just a cash game guy so dont try to snow us with that line anymore !!!!. You are a just as good a MTT player.. Well done. I think you know you are capable of taking one of these down. I felt the same way at Casears when I open shoved with AT already in the money but wanted the $10k prize money vs the $370.

Great job and keep grinding!!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Blinders said...

Great job. When you go out of a tourney like that you are playing well, but just not lucky enough. Sucks, but not much you can do.

I will be in town Next Tuesday-Sunday. We need to hook-up and play 2/5nl. I plan on building a bit of a roll at 2/5 and then blowing it all Saturday in a $1,500 WSOP donkfest. I will drop you an email.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Addison said...

Hey, I recently added a news widget from www.widgetmate.com to my blog. It shows the latest news, and just took a copy and paste to implement. Might interest you too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home