Friday, June 01, 2007

Prelude to the WSOP

Started the warm up for the WSOP with two sessions at the Bellagio with mixed results. I lost the first day and won the second day for a slight net loss. The Bellagio has been absolutely packed with all the pros playing some sick games and lots of donks in town for the start of the WSOP.

Besides the Big Game I saw some name pros playing $200/$400 mixed game, $50/100 NL, 75/150 O8, all with sick stacks. Heck even the $100/200 stud and the $40/80 mixed games that the no-name pros were playing had some sick stacks and action. It's somewhat funny looking at our baby $2/5 game with stacks in the $500 to $1000 range compared to all the other monster games with their green and black chips.

Nothing too crazy as far as hands went. Wednesday I lost a decent pot with AJ vs JT when a player called my reraise and turned his T and then lost some chips when I had to lay down an overpair to aggression with what turned out to be a set. Other than that I was card dead and didn't get to mix it up too much.

Yesterday, I caught KK in the SB and made it $60 to go after 5 limpers and UTG called getting us HU. Flop came T72 I led out and he reraised me. Only thing that beat me was a set and I only set I considered was TT. He didn't have much money behind him after the reraise and after consideration I figured at best he was drawing so I reraised him forcing him to commit the rest of his chips with ATo. This was some internet donk here for the Saturdays $1500 so you see what you're facing. What did he put me on? He was probably playing his own cards and didn't put me on anything is all I can think but how do you limp UTG then call that big of a raise preflop with ATo?

I like asking everyone who sits down at the table where they're from and are they here for the WSOP. When they answer yes and you watch them play for a few minutes you can insteadly see that unless they get lucky they are dead money. One got me yesterday when I had an overpair on 7d 6h 2h flop, I bet he called, turn rag, I bet he called, river a 7 and he jams right into me. I went in the tank and folded and he proudly showed Ah 7h. Chasing a flush with with shitty odds and hitting trips is one of those minefield hands and my reads live are still very good so even though I got away from the river bet that hand cost me what should have been more profit for the day.

I will say this, I'm glad I'm concentrating on live poker again. I'm lazy and I got in that play online rut for convenience and I'm glad thats behind me. The action is too good and live play is so much better because its so much easier to read players and to spot their tells. I'm counting on big results in the next two month and with the WSOP going on I'm confident I'm going to get them.

Have a nice weekend.

6 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger WillWonka said...

I'm really looking forward to your reports; because to me.. this is as big of story about the WSOP as the tournies are. Actually, I'm more interested on how the side games are going and the kind of play that you see there.

That would be one of my ultimate goals is to go out to the WSOP.. not for the tournies.. but for the side games.

Best of luck and may your hands hold up.

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Chad Carpenter (Yahoo IM: carchd) said...

I'm here for the WSOP, don't rape me please......

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

can't wait to get out there.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Gnome said...

Sounds juicy!

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger jamyhawk said...

It's amazing how many people shove with TPTK. WSOP sounds like the perfect time to exploit that for you.

Thanks for updating us on the side games. I hope to get out there next year.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Best of luck in the wsop cash games man. All that play with bloggers is sure to tune you up right for a fresh influx of donkey meat in town for the WSOP. Looking forward to reading all about your exploits here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home