Monday, July 02, 2007

BBT Finale

Well the BBT has come to an end and what a great series it's been. Thanks to the idea men Hoy, , and especially Al who took time out to run the numbers, set up the prizes, and to keep us lazy degenerates up-to-date on with all the info. Great idea boys and a smashing success.

Congrats to Trip Jacks for taking down the Big Game last night and thanks to everyone who supports it. We had a rough patch this winter when we hit a low of 17 entrants but the BBT certainly helped put the Big Game back on the map with 53, 49, and 45 entries for the three games making a whopping $10,143 in prize money. Even though the BBT is over the Big Game will continue for as long as players keep showing up so continue to win those tokens and take a shot at the biggest blogger prize pool available.

Alright lets get this out of way; I truly apologize if I may have offended anyone with my tirade last night at the Final Table. Even though I did predict who would play HU to win things, my comments toward a lot of different people were harsh, mean-spirited, and quite simply out of line. I sincerely hope that the multiple people I ranted towards will accept my apology and as we go forward it will be a focus for me to have fun in these events and leave the trash talk out.

I've always been highly competitive and with that a poor loser and although its quite embarrassing at times I still seem to put my foot in my mouth more often than I should. Heck I've even been directed to some blogs I don't even read who are apparent haters. Something about 'fuck me and every thing I stand for' and 'I'm a terrible poker player and the only reason I survive is I have a bankroll?' I've always been fairly self-absorbed and one thing about me is I wear my emotions on my sleeve so at times my words do not get channeled through the filter that most of you have and later I regret saying them. For the sake of personal growth this is something I will consciously work on and my comments towards any ones play is mine and mine alone I will try to keep those thoughts under wraps. Fair enough? If not keep on hating I do get a kick out of that.

This is no way derogatory towards the BBT or the guys who put this together but it will be interesting to see the discussion on a new scoring system if and when the BBT starts Series II. It's obvious to everyone I'm sure that while this was a great series and the participation was beyond expectation the scoring system was flawed. I think when Al posts the spreadsheet with Net $ won, a lot of heads are going to turn. I bet, of people who qualified for the free roll, which is 20 events I believe, that maybe 15% actually made a profit during the BBT and that some people that even finished in the Top Ten will show a net of (-$700).

We keep score at poker with money so hopefully net cash or a formula that balances net cash with the buy-in amount will be used in the next series. I do know that there are a lot of smart people out there and as a group we can get some consensus on how to keep track in a more fair way. Folding to the points and losses of several hundred dollars does not in my mind constitute who the best players are. Again no bad words here, just voicing some thoughts on how to improve a kick-ass idea.

As for me I'm burnt out and in need of a vacation so I'm heading to NYC for a week. Great timing too as the mega donkeys from around the world will be hitting town this week for the start of the Main Event. Since the Venetian final table two weeks ago, I'm not running so well, I'm feeling burnt out, and frustrated, so the time spent away from poker will be much needed. I'm certain I'll come back fresh and ready to go with a good attitude to match so beware all you haters, nice Don will be back.

I will probably give a few updates from the road and I hope everyone has a great week. Also enjoy the 4th of July and while I know so many people are disgruntled with the current administration, hopefully all Americans out there will remember how great our country is and will think about all the true freedoms we really enjoy.

11 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Thanks for hosting as always Don. Looking forward to seeing you in the Big City this week.

Btw I loved your chat rant yesterday, no apologies needed at all as far as I'm concerned. My only question was why you went so apeshit on the guy when you pushed a worse hand into his better hand preflop? I had just moved to your table as you busted if you recall, so I wasn't there to see any of the prior action, but I just had trouble understanding what was going on because you were so mad and then the guys at the table are telling me that you ran QQ into AA or KK or something like that. Nice run in any event brotha.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Don,
Thanks for kudos. In chat it is so hard to distinguish joking and seriousness so I was pretty much clueless last night. I chose to have a good time with it, sit back and be silent, and just enjoy the show. You actually made me laugh, but I know others didn't take it the same way.

There is something about the big game I really enjoy (and that doesn't even include winning it last night) so I hope it continues on.

Good luck to you and yours. See you on the felt.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger cmitch said...

Wish I was there to see the rant.

I have always thought that the scoring system should be based on ROI% with a minimum number of tourneys - something like your best 20 finishes - counting.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Wwonka said...

Had a Good time as always.

Thought that waffles had taken you computer over for a few min.

Can't wait for the next one.


Peace
Wwonka

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger BigPirate said...

Come to SC. We'll drink brown liquor and watch pretty girls walk by in 5 Points. No ranting allowed in the South (unless it's about college football). Now that would be a break!

I look forward to the next big game.

 
At 9:49 PM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

The ranting was funny, though surprising. Thanks for hosting and enjoy your week in NYC.

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Irongirl01 said...

Have fun in the Big Apple but Id rather be in Vegas right now myself!!!

I missed the rant as I called it an early nite after my bustout. Ive seen and heard it all but if I can offer a suggestion ranting is not worth the energy expended. And what we perceive as flawed play by others shouldnt be taking up space in our heads. Poker is nothing but a game, sometimes with big $$ involved but there is an element of gamble and when it all comes down to it donkeys can play any two cards they want and dont owe you or I an explanation.

And nice results for the season MD. Well Done.

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger "The Rake" said...

Being so focused that makes you rant after losing is okay if your not over the top mean. Yeah, it hurts when we lose - and on the other side - some of us donkeys even feel bad when we scoop a big pot that we went in as huge underdogs. We all take the rantings as just that - rantings. Good Fortune. Maybe next go around I can get into some of those tournaments. I swore off internet play - but maybe one day I will come back to the dark side (Albeit - for a small amounts).

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger PokahDave said...

Good stuff Don....entertaining as always. The Big Game tends to bring out the competitive spirit like no other tourney....

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Chapel said...

Thanks for hosting a great series of events! As far as the rant, I found it entertaining! Most of the players that chatted with me found it out of the norm and let me know immediately. Like I said, entertaining... but lasted too long!
Look I remember the 2nd MATH I ever played. You went on and on about me...chapel can't play,lucky donk, never make the money....3:1 right now he busts out before the money. That too was entertaining for me, and again I had many players in chat let me know it was in jest, especially from you.
Seems to me there's alot of(most) players out there that know you well enough that an apology wasn't necesarry. They all knew, and informed those that didn't know you (me being one) that you were really a great guy.
Like I said earlier, it was very entertaining, but like this post...way too long!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger KajaPoker said...

So now I'm all confused. At first I thought the rant was serious, then you said you were kidding and now you say it was for real? Make up your mind Don(k)!

All kidding aside, I was really surprised by your play in the last Big Game. I played a few tourneys with you and even went heads-up in the one you won a few months back and I remember how upset you were with CC and me for playing push or fold poker. But that seemed to be all you were doing in the last one. So I am not sure if it was a change in playing style, tilt, wtf-poker or what? But I was thinking to myself this was not going to end well. And that's exactly what happened and you shoved twice into better hands. No way JeciiMD(??) folds QQ to your 66 push. Or folds KK to your QQ push. Anybody at the table calls you with those hands.

Once again, thanks for hosting the biggest buy-in I play in. Played 3 so far - 2nd, 2nd ,8th. Hope to take one down in the future.

Enjoy NYC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home