Friday, July 27, 2007

Orleans Open

I gave the Orleans Open a go yesterday and finished around 80th out of 160. The amount of players was dissapointing but we were still playing for a $24K first prize. My demise was flopping two pair and losing a bunch of chips to a flopped set, then crippled I was sent to the rail with AK vs 88.

I'm not a big tournament player obviously and I've never played either a WSOP or WPT event but this Orleans Open was easily the toughest starting table I've ever been at, with the exception of maybe a Math or Mookie. There were a lot of second tier local tournament pros at my starting table and the action was somewhat tight but still very solid. Sarah Casey, Connie Kim, Chad Layne were three name pros that I recognized and also playing was this aggro internet donk with full poker stars gear, and this young up and comer Michael Dengah who I sat next to for a few hours at the Venetian Deep Stack I final tabled.

It was also a big adjustment playing long levels with low blinds. We started with 4000 chips and hour levels and 25/25 then 25/50 for an hour each was interesting. Lots of speculative hands and lots of pots that got big fast. As the blinds did increase Chad Layne did an impressive job of chipping up without having to show many cards. I think over the course of three levels he was in a lot of pots and I think he only showed down three times and increased his starting stack from 4K to 16K.

When the blinds got to 50/100 the internet kid starting raising about five hands per orbit. Now what set this up was some table talk about live play versus internet play. Most of us at the table prefer live play and a couple said they don't ever play online. The Poker stars kid then went on and on about how internet players are so much better because "they can beat online and live games whereas the live players can't beat online games." So the debate was started.

After the first orbit, every time the internet kid raised, Chad Layne on his immeditate left reraised him with any two cards. The kid started to get pissed and proceeded to tilt off his remaining chips in no time. He lost a big pot with third pair to second pair that crippled him and he then started jamming every single hand until someone finally put him out of his misery. It was actually very funny to watch.

So even though I went out mid pack it was definitely a learning experience starting at a table with only two soft spots. It was also extremely boring at times like during level three when I played exactly one hand during the whole hour.

Oh well poker is fun again. I do know results are important in that I need to make X amount of dollars a month but the mindset is to have fun and make the best possible decisions and I feel if I do that the money will take care of itself.

Don't forget one week from Sunday is the August edition of the big game. Go win those tokens early and often.

5 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger Pokerwolf said...

The kid started to get pissed and proceeded to tilt off his remaining chips in no time. He lost a big pot with third pair to second pair that crippled him and he then started jamming every single hand until someone finally put him out of his misery.

Classic. Thanks for sharing, Don!

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Instant Tragedy: Just Add Sean said...

"make the best possible decisions "

I AGREE TOTALLY. You are going to win some days, and some days you're going to lose. If you make those best decisions, you will out in the end.

GL
IT

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

IMO live MTT's are a lot tougher.

you can go a long time without seeing a playable hand. alot of players will crack after looking at mediocre hands for several hrs. so much mental energy is spent studying every player during every hand. if you go deep, 8-10hrs of this is exhausting. esp if you find yourself riding a short/middle stack thru, sweating every hand.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Irongirl01 said...

I'm with Smokkee on live being tougher and more grueling..I prefer live play over online and have had sucess in both arenas. However, I feel my former training as an endurance athlete helps me live for the long haul mentally. I have kept focus for 14 hours in a live MTT but have never had to last that long on-line. The thing about live play is that even if your cards are dead you can keep busy studying your opponents and the action and its more social too.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger syferium said...

I saw your website and all the blgs are very good, so you have the opportunity to sell space ads on you blogs... And i can't find another way to contact you,sorry...


i receive 72$ every month doing nothing, there is just 4 links at my website)))And you're website is much more better then mine.
Payments via PAYPAL and CHECK!!

http://www.text-link-ads.com/?ref=29747

No matter what language your website or blog has. No matter how many visitors a day visit your website, it's only depends on the PR!
PR MUST BE AT LEAST 2!!!!

IF SO YOU CAN EARN MONEY!!! LOT OF MONEY!!

try them...


After you'll sign up here write to me... and i'll tell you how to optimize it for well...

You can find several good tips here http://googlegeotargeting.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home