Monday, August 13, 2007

Big Love for Rick Ankiel

When you get done reading this make sure you go read the latest issue of



The best story of the weekend had to be the return of Rick Ankiel to the Cardinals as an outfielder. I think it's been about 60 years since someone has gone from pitching to an every day position player in the Major Leagues. The guy overcame an upbringing of his father dealing crystal meth and doing considerable time in a federal prison, to being a 20 year-old pitching phenom, to becoming a head case who couldn't throw strikes, missing three seasons due to a variety of injuries and now at only 28 he just might have the talent to play RF for Cardinals. This is a story of never quitting, of never no matter what giving up, something most of us fat lazy Americans could never understand.





There is no comparison Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer ever to walk the planet.

Sorry to those I gave the Jacksonville over Miami selection to. I saw the line at Miami -1' and bet it a week ago. Unfortunately the line moved to Jax -1' and in the first bad beat of the year Josh Scobee missed a 40-yard FG off the dirt in the last minute and the Fins covered. Luckily Miami had gone for two instead of the tie so I got a winner.

My first hot tip/inside info tip of the year came through. I got a call at 9am saying Vince Young would not be playing for Tennessee. The tipster said never mind taking the points, bet Washington to win straight up at +140. So I did. For 58+ minutes it looked like a loser but the Skins scored two TDs in the last minute for the victory. I gave the tip to only one guy although I don't think he played it but at least it may have kept him from playing Tennessee. Nice first suck out of the year and my inside info stands at 1-0.

Hopefully I can comb the exhibition slate for next weekend and come up with some posted winners for the other degenerates out there. Man am I glad football season is back. I find watching and betting on football 1000 times more exciting than playing poker. Between consulting for my old business and football season being here in full swing, my poker playing will lessen dramatically. After three break even months and not much play this month poker will become at best a part-time pursuit probably through the end of the year. Hopefully in that time it will become fun again.

Congrats to LJ for following up her deep run last week in the $32K with a cash in FTOPS 6. Perhaps she is a new blogger star in the making? Go visit her blog and give her some love but don't you dare tell her that playing KJo out of position is okay although I know some of you are deeply in love with that shitty hand.

My efforts at FTOPS so far has resulted in a loss of time and money. I can't seem to get past all the donkeys in the satellite or super satellite level. One hand I got sent home on was quite funny I thought. With the blinds only at 30/60 EP raises to 3.5x and I smooth call in the CO with AKo. Three of us see the flop of A76 rainbow. Check, Check, I bet about 3/4 pot and get check-raised by the original raiser. I go over the hands that he may have and come up with AK-AT or TT-KK all of which I beat except AK which is a chop. I rule out a set and really rule out A7 or A6 because I don't think anyone open raises that crap in EP. I re-raise, he jams I call and he turns over A6. And you guys want to argue tournaments are skill heh. I guess I'm the donkey who can't put someone on A6 with an EP raise, or the donkey who doesn't make that play, or the donkey who thinks KJo or AQo sucks balls.

Tonight is my favorite HBO show other than the Wire, Big Love. I love me some Mormon mafia stories and plot lines. I don't think I knew any Mormons, or Jews or Muslim for that matter, growing up, but since I've lived in Vegas I've become more up to speed on the polygamists Mormons and I must say from all I've read and seen on the News and special TV shows that Big Love is extremely accurate. Three episodes left and I can't wait to see how they wrap up Season 2.

Anyway, today may be the transition of this blog. Although I mostly write what I feel at the moment or share stories about life in Vegas or my past the focus or theme has predominantly been poker and with poker probably taking a backseat in my life the content will focus on variety of other things. I hope those who do stop by here don't just read for the poker content and will continue to read if this blog takes a life that is mostly non-poker. It will be interesting to see what happens to both the content and readership over the next couple months. Stay tuned.

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend and that you are truly happy with your life as it is in the present moment.

8 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger lj said...

thanks for props. i am behind on big love and will catch up soon, but personally, i am excited for tv tonight b/c it's the season premiere of WEEDS, one of the best comedies on tv. yayyyyy!

as for that A6 hand (i thought he had A7, not that it matters) i used to be that donkey, and it doesn't surprise me too much to find people raising with that in a satellite that he probably spent 8 bucks to get into (not that there's anything wrong w/ that). especially if it's soooooted.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger mookie99 said...

We watch Big Love every Monday too...although I hear the final two or three episodes will be on a Sunday.

6 more days...and we'll be there....in Vegas...not adding a 2nd wife.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Irongirl01 said...

Your friends will read your blog regardless of the poker content or lack there of. We are so much more than the hands we play and I am always more interested to learn about the non-poker interests of my favorite bloggers.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger jamyhawk said...

Freakin Ankiel! What a great story!

My wife has me watching Big Love and Big Brother (that's about all the non-sports TV I can handle a week). Big Love will make you think twice about wanting a 2nd wife, though.

Keep writing. I'll keep reading.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger cmitch said...

The Rick Ankiel story has to be the best thing to happen to baseball in a long time. Barry who?

I enjoy the blog and will keep following even without the poker - I will still get some poker content mixed in wit the Miami Dolphin content, right? (coming from a 'Phins fan)

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger Schaubs said...

Post your rankings and strategy for Fantasy Football, and I'll keep coming back...

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Pseudo_Doctor said...

u writing about non poker and me posting about poker related content recently...what is going on?

 
At 8:48 PM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I remember watching Ankiel during his first meltdown... I mean didn't that happen right before our eyes!? So crazy. Yeah, that was a great comeback story. It's good to know that baseball can still provide feel good stories once in a while.

First blog post I read of yours was when you reflected that trip you made from Miami to FL. Really had nothing to do with poker but I still consider that to be one of the most inspirational posts I've seen. No poker, no problem. Your blog is certainly one of the first ones I check out as soon as I notice there is an update.

I still think betting on preseason football is sick... but you're making it awfully tempting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home