Tuesday, August 07, 2007

FTOPS Shots

Nothing much new going on here. Poker, betting baseball, studying for football, reading blogs, watching HBO, drinking vodka, man live doesn't get much better than this.

Had a great time at Sunday's Big Game. Only 14 players but it was a tough field. I bubbled running AT into TT and KQ into QQ four-handed. Both times into Hoy, who went on to win the $483 first prize. BTW don't be mislead by Hoy's 12K word posts, he does display luckbox tendencies at times even though he'll never admit to it.

Speaking of luckboxes, yes that was me with TT vs KK vs AA when we were five-handed and yes that was me sucking out with a straight. How ghey the RNG spits those three hands out at exactly that time. But what the RNG gives it also takes away as I kept running good hands into Mr. Pocket Pair. Anyway let's hope for a slightly bigger field next month.

After my rants last week about MTTs, I'm still taking shots at a big score. Tonight is the satellite to FTOPS 1 which will take the place of the 50-50 and I will take a shot at trying to win my way in. Overall though I've cut down on taking these shots and working on building up my roll playing cash games.

With just a little bit of searching, I can usually find a super weak-tight $200NL cash game at almost any time of the day on FT. A good mix is two or three bots,(multi-tablers playing more than 6 games), one or two shorties trying to make a score, and the rest just random players. When I find those weak-tight tables I try to play highly focused aggressive poker for at most two hours but the real goal is to double up and split. I only play one cash table at a time and usually I'm playing a MTT or satellite along with it.

The last few months I've taking cash winnings and used most of it chasing MTTs. Now I'm pocketing most of the cash profits and using a percentage for satellites or token SnGs. I've found this to be a better method for me personally because the goal right now is to build my online account to back over five figures which in essence is like a savings account. Also this is the slowest time of the year in the Vegas poker rooms so it's a way to earn during the dead times.

I've been working hard also consulting for my old business in Florida and it looks like I will get offered a stake in it again. I'll weigh things out in the coming weeks but worst case initially my compensation should pay my monthly nut and my health insurance. I have things down there stabilized after it looked like it was going under and if the implemented changes works out as planned I can slowly expand things and turn it once again into a nice profitable cash flow business at which point I can make a comfortable living. Hmmm guess that would make me a semi-pro poker player and gambler as well as once again a business owner. Makes for a great live if you ask me.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and stayed profitable.

6 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger Fuel55 said...

Time to trade in the WMV.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Plenty of $400NL cash games with the mix of players you just mentioned, Don. If I could stop leaking money in higher limit games, I'd actually show a more solid profit each month...

Btw, for some reason, I found this sentence sequence hilarious...

"my compensation should pay my monthly nut and my health insurance. I have things down there stabilized"

Monthly nut? Things down there stabilized? Aaaah, good times. Yes, I'm 12 yrs old inside.

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger lj said...

lol at both comments. don's life = dreamy.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Chad C said...

"Monthly Nut" sounds like a term used to explain a married mans sex life doesn't it?

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger smokkee said...

Chad would know.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Irongirl01 said...

Too funny Chad and Smokkee. Is that why all you men (at least the married ones are taking out their aggression at the poker table)??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home