Friday, November 02, 2007

MTT Fun

This BBTwo is a blast. I've never seen so much bad play since well any tournament I play in. I think players, bloggers and non-bloggers alike, fail to grasp the concepts of late stage tournament strategy and man you see it everywhere. Calling with Ace rag or QT, KJ, or 22 is not the answer people and while you might occasionally knock a player or two out you'll never win with that style unless you are an absolute luckbox. So good luck with that Passive weak-tight poker for those who play that style.

I've turned into an online tournament donk the past few weeks and I must say it's been a nice change of pace. I finally made a decent score and I'm now actually about even this year chasing these tournaments. I think I've grasped how to play the late stages of tournaments and since I've made some changes and plugged a few leaks the results have been much better. I think another big score is somewhere close.

One of my favorite all-time quotes is, "If you keep doing what you've always been doing, you'll keep getting what you've always been getting." That applies to all facets of life and it also applies to poker.

I know many people play the game for recreational purposes so perhaps they are happy with where they are with their game and their results but after having many chats with a bunch of successful and unsuccessful players, what I've found is the successful players work hard to improve their games by reading, adapting new strategies, discussing hand histories, crunching numbers and odds etc. while the unsuccessful players keep playing the same way, keep getting stuck in the same stages of play, are not willing to try something new and who predominately call themselves "unlucky".

If you are one of the unlucky ones, and I know I've been in that camp before, try something new because it's obvious your style is not one that results in long term success. Take a chance, change things up, get out of that rut, try something new, it may refresh your game and give you the results you are looking for.


New England 45
Indy 31

Oregon 42
Arizona St 24

7 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, Blogger Chad C said...

So you are saying that by never adapting a new style or at least trying new things I will never get better? Here I thought sitting on my ass calling myself the "unluckiest player" in poker was going to improve my game........... Thanks for ruining my day!!!!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger lucko said...

Good post.



-sucko <----hardest working blogger

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger RaisingCayne said...

Albert Einstein once defined insanity as "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Everytime I find myself in a rut, be it socially, poker-related, career-orinted, whatever, I make a conscience effort to re-examine my actions.

Love the post... some great advice!

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

Bunch of lucksacs...

Just kidding! Nice post!

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Hammer Player a.k.a Hoyazo said...

Not sure how Don of all people decries the people calling themselves unlucky.

Is this April Fools Day already or something?

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger CzechRazor said...

I think it needs to go one step further before you change up your style. We can't always attribute a bad run to needing to alter the way we play or else we stand to turn our game inside out and into one giant clusterfuck.

If you find that you're reaching the money bubble often enough and falling short due to running into a monster or whatever ... well, shit happens.

But if you find yourself blinding away to nothing or busting out in the early stages a lot ... well, time to make some modifications.

Or not. I don't mind the recreational players so much. It's healthy for my bankroll.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger CarmenSinCity said...

Gee, where have I heard that saying before?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home