Friday, June 06, 2008

Sinus

A nasty sinus infection has left me home bound all week but I'm finally over the hump and will get back to live play today. I've been itching to get out to the action but forced myself to stay at the crib until I was 100% ready to go after the donkey dollars.

I did play a couple mini-series events on FTP and also qualified for the Bodonkey two-table SnG for $12K this coming Tuesday so it wasn't a total loss.

I'm highly disappointed for not making the TOC for the BBThree but some bad decisions and some definite bad luck kept me from winning anything. I did get a 2nd in one of the Big Games so that financed my attempts and somehow I bubbled five final tables, two of them being Big Games, so all in all I guess I sucked. Good Luck to everyone in the TOC. I'll be at the Venetian playing live so I guess I'll read the recaps.

Watching the Lakers-Celtics last night sure brought up some good memories for me. As a decent hoopster back in the 80s I could not get enough of the Bird-Magic series' so watching the game last night had me strolling down memory lane. Bird and Magic saved the NBA, and some of the greatest finals ever were in '84, '85, and '87 when those teams went head-to-head. Of course I was a Celtic fan back in those days rooting for the whitest and ugliest team ever. I did throw a wager on the Celtics to win the series at +150 and I financed that bet by taking the Celtics last night and laying the 3. BEAT LA BEAT LA. Speaking of LA, who gets paid more, Clipper players, Dodger players or USC players?

I see a lot of talk about poker reaching it's peak then going into some sort of decline. My response is, "Are you kidding me?" I'll take the over and any prop bets out there. A lot of states are changing legislation and opening or expanding poker rooms and from everything I hear those places are packed. Also, I will wager anyone that online poker will be perfectly legal in the US within no more than five years and most of us will be playing online at mgmmirage.com or stations.com, or caesars.com. So what if poker is not working on TV and truthfully I don't think it needs to. Live rooms are packed, tournaments are packed, online sites are posting huge numbers, the poker boom is far from over.

Hope everyone is running well out there and good luck to the TOC donks tomorrow.

3 Comments:

At 4:45 PM, Blogger Dr. Pauly said...

Hope you fell better soon.

As a poker industry insider, I disagree with your assessment of the status of poker. From your perspective it might seem like it's doing great, but that's just one of many aspects of the puzzle. Industry-wide poker has been in a decline the last year or so in America. In other international markets it's reaching pre-boom and boom numbers.

 
At 1:04 AM, Blogger Alan aka RecessRampage said...

I couldn't agree more about the LA - Boston matchup. Bayne and I were talking yesterday about how great it was to see these two teams again, just like the 80s.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Ignatious said...

i just wanna say i hope you're right, don, but the magic 8 ball says the situation is cloudy -- check back later. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home